Leaf Net use over winter

Jun 4, 2009
Sullivan County, NY
Hi,

For the past several years I've used a solid cover with air-filled pillows over the AG pool.

Each Spring I mutter mild obscenities to myself as I try but fail to remove the cover and not have all the junk that fell on to the pool from sept to may fall into it. Each spring I fail and wind up cleaning out the junk from the pool.

I'd love to plan this better.

I was thinking that if I put a leaf net over the solid cover it would work.

But, from what I read, the leaf net is supposed to be removed before the frost.

Is this a must? I'd prefer to leave it on until pool opening time, so it catches everything that comes its way all those months.

Possible? Advisable?

Or is there a better solution?

Thanks very much,

Joseph

There exist leaf nets that can be frozen into ice, but most of them will be destroyed after only one year in ice. If you want to leave the leaf net over the winter look for one that specifically advertises that it is good over the winter.

It is simple enough to remove the leaf net before the first hard freeze. You can put it back on in the early spring if you are worried about more stuff falling in the spring.

Ooops! Until I read this I didn't know I wasn't supposed to keep it on all winter.

Mine came with the house so I don't know the Brand but it has survived 2 winters frozen solid, it thaws out in the spring and holds literally a TON of wet leaves and pine needles. I can't imagine fighting with all those wet leaves in the cold near freezing days of winter. I prefer removing the leaf net in the spring when I can convince myself that 50 degrees is actually warm.

My leaf net is nothing special (intheswim.com) and has been out there (NJ) for four winters now. No problems, even though the instructions say to take it off before things freeze. Some winters we don't get a lot of ice and snow but some we do. I empty it after all the leaves are down and anchor it with bungee cords so it can move if it needs to. Except right at the pump, it lays on the cover which lays on the water, no real stress. I have lots of pin oaks and they keep shedding leaves all the way until Spring so I have to do this. A lot of leaves and stuff comes off with the leaf net when I open; then the cover itself is dry and clean and pulls with no problem.

I won't guarantee what happens in serious snow belt climates, but I don't think it's a problem in the more temperate zone. Even if it were to split this winter, I'd get another and keep doing it.

I usually get mine pulled off before freeze sets in but for the price if someone left it on and it lasted only a couple seasons, probably not so big of a deal. I certainly wouldn't go without one at all though, what a difference it makes!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.