I'm getting off trichlor tabs and doing it cold turkey.

lilredhen

Jul 29, 2009
Northern California
You nice folks have been a lot of help to me already, but I have a few more Q's.

Maybe I'm dense, but I always thought the reason I run the pump so much is to dissolve the tablets and release chlorine. Now that I know my CYA is 76 I can't use tablets anymore. So my 1st Q is why am I running my pump 9 hours a day? Is this necessary?

Now I'm fine with using bleach so far, but we want to get in a couple more camping trip this year. It was sure nice when we just put in some tablets and didn't worry about it. Isn't there a dispenser for liquid chlorine or do they all use tablets?

Thanks in advance,
Jill

Pump run time is primarily to filter the water and to circulate the chemicals throughout the pool.

For automatic chlorination, you can use the Hasa Liquidator. Search for "Liquidator" and you should see plenty of discussions. I have one and love it.

You may also consider a salt water chlorine generator (SWCG).

If you keep your CYA at a reasonable level, you can use pucks to get through a vacation.

How long will you be gone?

I've gone on 10-11 day vacations, shocked and thrown on the solar cover and come home to plenty of free chlorine. If you are saying a week or exented weekend trips, you shouldn't need pucks (assuming you can cover).

What is a solar cover? We have an automatic cover but I have to leave it open this time of year or the water gets too warm.

We may just go for a long weekend so I suppose we can shock it before we leave. Next month we have a 2-week trip. So I'm worried the pool care will be too complicated for the neighbor kid to handle. I guess once my test kit arrives I'll find out.

No one makes a floating chlorinator that uses liquid?

lilredhen said:
No one makes a floating chlorinator that uses liquid?

Since bleach is heavier than water, you only want it going into the pool while the pump is on. If you can figure out your normal chlorine consumption, you can just have the neighbor add that amount daily and add a shock dose halfway through for insurance.

I understand. Thanks for your help.

One more thing. I think I just figured something out. According to the pool calculator, if I added the amounts of dichlor and trichlor that I know I have added over the last couple of seasons, my CYA should be much much higher than it actually is now (76). Could that mean my kids are splashing out enough water to keep my CYA down? I've never purposely removed water from my pool for any reason. I'm hoping this means my CYA will drop over time without my having to drain and refill at all. :)

lilredhen said:
I understand. Thanks for your help.

One more thing. I think I just figured something out. According to the pool calculator, if I added the amounts of dichlor and trichlor that I know I have added over the last couple of seasons, my CYA should be much much higher than it actually is now (76). Could that mean my kids are splashing out enough water to keep my CYA down? I've never purposely removed water from my pool for any reason. I'm hoping this means my CYA will drop over time without my having to drain and refill at all. :)

Maybe. 76ppm tells me that it's a pool store test, and it could be suspect. A turbidity test like the one in Taylor based kits will give you a better handle on your real numbers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.