aerating fill water to reduce TA ?

induce

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2007
Murfreesboro, TN
first, thanks for all the info on this topic from the gang @PF.
Finally started fill today. As we discussed, the TA of the well fill H2O is 500. :(
Is it ok to start the aerating by shooting the fill up into the air and then into the pool now?
the water is not high enough to bring the pumps and filter online. pH is 7.1 in the pool today.
I know it would be a bad idea to add acid when the pH starts to rise because of no circulation.
but, the process has started!!!!! :) :)

I think I would start right away. There are several practical ways to get a little circulation that would allow you to add acid. Swirling with the pool brush is one. Using a little submersible pump is another. Diluting the acid would be helpful as well as distributing it evenly in your pool when you put it in.

Getting the Alk in a more comfortable range is fairly important and a good head start can only help you.

With a TA of 500...it may take a while before your happy with the results. But don't fret! Just stick to the aeration method and the TA will go down. With your TA numbers being so high...it'll just take a bit longer to reach your goal.

good luck,
dan

[EDIT] Whoops! I just reread your post and it sounds like you are starting a fresh fill, not just filling up a small amount. So yes, your aeration as you go (and adding acid as needed to keep pH lower) is the thing to do. What I write below is for future "partial" fills. [END-EDIT]

I would do the aeration and acid addition to the fill water in a separate container first. It is a lot easier to get the TA lower when it is already higher and in a smaller volume of water. If you add it to your pool, getting the TA lower takes more work. Essentially, the speed of TA reduction is increased with low pH, high TA, and proportion of aeration to the volume of water. Operating on the fill water separately, it is very easy to get to very low pH and to aerate a large proportion of the water. Once it's in your pool, this is harder to do (aerating a large proportion of the pool water volume) and not even wise (very low pH, that is).

One more thing. If your fill water has roughly normal pH, then with the high TA it is likely that the CH is very high as well. So you should measure that. It is much harder to lower the CH if it is high -- running the fill water through a water softener is probably the easiest way. There are some sequestrant products optimized for holding calcium that can be used as another alternative.

Richard

Thanks Richard!

yes, the CH is about 370-400 straight out of the ground. I am running it thru a large softener. I'm running the regeneration cycles manually as the volume of water is depleating it's ability to exchange ions. If the softener is working, the CH is about 40-60. My PB is freaking out on all this carbonic acid, outgassing and pH.
Using Jack's purple stuff as soon as the pump comes online. (i think in am).
I added a bit of CYA today in powder form......it's just sitting on the bottom of the pool. i'm trying to stir it with the net.
added bleach last pm and it was 2ppm this am, but now 0 due to lack of CYA and prob used up somewhat. will add a bit more tonight.
Going to try to dilute and mix the cya in a bucket then add a bit at a time.
Thanks again.

You may have already put in your CYA, but if you haven't: it tends to dissolve S-L-O-W-L-Y. It's usually recommended to put it in a sock or stocking and either put that in your skimmer basket (which won't work for you right now since you're just filling) or hang the sock over a return. Maybe you could tie the sock/stocking to the hose?

thanks guys!!

We are up and running. pump on high, polaris fountain on, checking chem 2/day. waiting game begins.
added jack's purple stuff tonite. cl up to 2 ppm, cya still low. will retest in am and try the sock idea. too cool......wait, warm, the heater is on too!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.