Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: aerating fill water to reduce TA ?

1. Back To Top    #1

aerating fill water to reduce TA ?

first, thanks for all the info on this topic from the gang @PF.
    Finally started fill today. As we discussed, the TA of the well fill H2O is 500.
    Is it ok to start the aerating by shooting the fill up into the air and then into the pool now?
    the water is not high enough to bring the pumps and filter online. pH is 7.1 in the pool today.
    I know it would be a bad idea to add acid when the pH starts to rise because of no circulation.
    but, the process has started!!!!!
    Cal C.

22k ig vl, hayward 2sp northstar, hayward pro series sand filter, aqua logic ps-8 wireless controls with swg, hayward (eus) heat pump, polaris 280 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    I think I would start right away. There are several practical ways to get a little circulation that would allow you to add acid. Swirling with the pool brush is one. Using a little submersible pump is another. Diluting the acid would be helpful as well as distributing it evenly in your pool when you put it in.

Getting the Alk in a more comfortable range is fairly important and a good head start can only help you.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    With a TA of 500...it may take a while before your happy with the results. But don't fret! Just stick to the aeration method and the TA will go down. With your TA numbers being so high...it'll just take a bit longer to reach your goal.

good luck,
    dan
    21' Aqua-Leader AGP (10,200 gallons).
    Hayward cartridge filter and two speed pump.
    Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Salt 3200ppm (in non-salt water pool)
    Borates 20ppm (slowly raising)
    Aqua-Rite SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

[EDIT] Whoops! I just reread your post and it sounds like you are starting a fresh fill, not just filling up a small amount. So yes, your aeration as you go (and adding acid as needed to keep pH lower) is the thing to do. What I write below is for future "partial" fills. [END-EDIT]

I would do the aeration and acid addition to the fill water in a separate container first. It is a lot easier to get the TA lower when it is already higher and in a smaller volume of water. If you add it to your pool, getting the TA lower takes more work. Essentially, the speed of TA reduction is increased with low pH, high TA, and proportion of aeration to the volume of water. Operating on the fill water separately, it is very easy to get to very low pH and to aerate a large proportion of the water. Once it's in your pool, this is harder to do (aerating a large proportion of the pool water volume) and not even wise (very low pH, that is).

One more thing. If your fill water has roughly normal pH, then with the high TA it is likely that the CH is very high as well. So you should measure that. It is much harder to lower the CH if it is high -- running the fill water through a water softener is probably the easiest way. There are some sequestrant products optimized for holding calcium that can be used as another alternative.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Richard!

yes, the CH is about 370-400 straight out of the ground. I am running it thru a large softener. I'm running the regeneration cycles manually as the volume of water is depleating it's ability to exchange ions. If the softener is working, the CH is about 40-60. My PB is freaking out on all this carbonic acid, outgassing and pH.
    Using Jack's purple stuff as soon as the pump comes online. (i think in am).
    I added a bit of CYA today in powder form......it's just sitting on the bottom of the pool. i'm trying to stir it with the net.
    added bleach last pm and it was 2ppm this am, but now 0 due to lack of CYA and prob used up somewhat. will add a bit more tonight.
    Going to try to dilute and mix the cya in a bucket then add a bit at a time.
    Thanks again.
    Cal C.

22k ig vl, hayward 2sp northstar, hayward pro series sand filter, aqua logic ps-8 wireless controls with swg, hayward (eus) heat pump, polaris 280 cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

You may have already put in your CYA, but if you haven't: it tends to dissolve S-L-O-W-L-Y. It's usually recommended to put it in a sock or stocking and either put that in your skimmer basket (which won't work for you right now since you're just filling) or hang the sock over a return. Maybe you could tie the sock/stocking to the hose?
    ~Jules~

My pool: INDOOR 13x27 rectangular fiberglass, built ~2001, BBB, TA-60 sand filter, Hayward two speed pump (1 hp/0.33 hp), 3/4 hp booster pump for solar heater
    Taylor K-2006 test

7. Back To Top    #7
    I just add mine directly to the skimmer (slowly) and then it dissolves over time in the filter.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanB
    I just add mine directly to the skimmer (slowly) and then it dissolves over time in the filter.
    Remember not to backwash for at least a week if you do this method, else you will lose the undissolved CYA.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

9. Back To Top    #9

thanks guys!!

We are up and running. pump on high, polaris fountain on, checking chem 2/day. waiting game begins.
    added jack's purple stuff tonite. cl up to 2 ppm, cya still low. will retest in am and try the sock idea. too cool......wait, warm, the heater is on too!!
    Cal C.

10. Back To Top    #10

update:

all is well. here's the #'s:

pH 7.4
    Cl 2.5
    TA 90
    CH 250
    CYA 40

it took 8+ gallons of MA to fix, plus time and faith. TA started @ 500.
    Thanks to all. Now on to borate Rx.
    Cal C.