Just used the TF-100 for the first time. High CYA

Jan 12, 2018
Frisco TX
Hello! First time posting. I finally opened my TF-100 and tested my pool water. I've relied on Leslie's far too long, wasted money, and have a lot of chemicals which most likely raised my CYA level. I plan on reading through this forum extensively. It appears the best way to decrease CYA levels would be dilution. Has anyone tried BioActive? I've read mixed reviews. Here are my test results:

FC: 6.5
CC: 0.5
TC: 7.0
Calcium: 500 ppm
Alkalinity: 90
CYA: 100
pH:7.8

Any insight is appreciated. I look forward to learning how to maintain my pool. Thanks

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Since your CYA is high, try the dilution test because it may be higher than you think Use the TFP Pool School - CYA page and start at STEP 8. Don't worry about adjusting anything else right now other than testing that CYA again tomorrow with that method with good sunlight at your back. That will give you a much better idea of how much water you really need to replace (not dilute) to lower the CYA. There's really no better way. Unfortunately, those stores that sell tabs don't tell you that they increase CYA either. :hammer:

Once you've done the water exchange and the CYA is at least down to 60 or below, post a new full set of results and we can help you from there. 60 is a bit high for winter, but it's better than 100+. If you go lower that's okay, but no lower than 30. Nice to have you with us.

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice.

I have work tomorrow but I’ll try to test before I go in. I’m off Sunday and Monday so if I can’t test tomorrow, I’ll do it Sunday.

I have a ton of those tabs. Won’t be using them again. Live and learn. Thanks again!

dtpb,

Welcome to TFP... A great place to learn all about Pool $tore myths, such as Bioactive... :shark:

BioActive is next to useless... instead of wasting your money on it, just become a supporter... At least it will not be like throwing your money in a wishing well..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks for responding Jim. I’m glad I posted here as oppose to going with the seed the pool store planted in my head.

It appears that some who have used BioActive have lowered CYA levels but spent lots of $$$ doing so, turned there water cloudy and created high levels of ammonia.

Replacing the water seems much safer.

Hi Dad! You are going to LOVE how your pool looks after we get done with it!

You are SO on the right track now............good test kit, knowing to remove and replace water to lower the CYA, NOT going to the pool $tore for anything other than toys! Well done.

Yeah.......bioactive............nope :( if only it would work like they said but time after time it has shown it does not really work like they say it will.

I want you to go out and really look at your water. Look down at the main drain. Look at the screw heads. When we get your water all balanced I want you to look again. The difference will be "blinding" as it will have sparklities!

Kim:kim:

So I just conducted the CYA test again. This time I got 75. I did it outside with my back to the sun. Yesterday, when I conducted the test I did it inside. I’m sure the light was inadequate.

It feels like it’s 19 out right now so I will conduct another test when it warms up a bit.

I do have a quick question. What is the purpose of adding tap water, mixing, then pouring out before adding R-0013? I’m certainly not questioning the process or yalls knowledge...just intrigued.

Did you get 75 with it diluted? If so, then your CYA is actually around 150. That's why we do it that way when we suspect CYA is over 100 since the tube only reads to 100.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, CYA tests are the only ones where the pool water temp should be a bit warmer. So if the water was bone-cold when you tested, bring the sample inside for about 30-60 minutes before going out to test again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay. Well, since your CYA appears to be about 150, simple math tells us that if you exchanged about 50% of your water, the CYA should lower to about 70 or so. That's a bit high, but manageable as opposed to 150. You can also enter your numbers into the Poolmath Calculator (NOW & TARGET values) and it will confirm about how much water to replace to lower the CYA. Good thing with your TF-100, now you're in control and know exactly what to do and/or how much water to exchange to bring the CYA down. If you could do it enough to lower the CYA to about 40-50, that would be great and you'd be in a good place for the warmer months.....when they get here. :)

Prior to draining any water from the pool determine if you have a high water table. Does water easily drain from the area around the pool? Are you near a river or lake? Is your pool on an elevated area or in a valley or depression? We do not want you to drain too much from your pool at once IF the water table is high as it can 'float' the pool shell.

I would suspect in your area these issues are not likely, but need to be discussed.

I was in the exact boat as you. Leslie’s managed to mess up of my water quality and cya. I did a couple of partial drains and went from 150 to 60. TFP methods have resulted in perfect water. I’ll never set foot into Leslie’s again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! So you did 2 partial drains. Drained about 2’ each time and the CYA dropped more than half. I’m thinking if I did this three times, my CYA should be right where I want it. I need a few off days and some warm weather to get this party started. Thanks

Look at what Marty said about your water table...if you drain only 2 inches, and then refill w a starting CYA of 150, your impact is minimal, plus you keep draining the water you just added and the CYA levels are just about the same or negligibly less. W 150, you really need to take a bite out of it w the most you can get out w out causing any potential damage to your pool shell.

Finally, w all the rains we received over the last 1.5 yrs, my pool's CYA got down to 5-10ppm. So, don't toss the tablets bc you can use them when you want to raise your CYA and it provided a mini break from adding bleach. Sounds strange to be saying to "raise your CYA" levels, but w the TFP Method, you'll get there

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.