How to know when to replace filter housing? Top of filter "rising" when starting?

Westovers

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2009
Austin, Texas
How to know when to replace filter housing? Top of filter "rising" when starting?

I've recently noticed the top of my cartridge filter housing slightly "rising" when the filter pump turns on. Haven't paid attention to that before. Is that normal? OK? Does a new filter housing slightly expand when new? Or only when it is old, and time to replace? How long should a cartridge filter housing last? (Mine is about 8.5 years old.)

Re: How to know when to replace filter housing? Top of filter "rising" when starting?

Can you give us a make and model of the filter? It should not move. I assume it does not leak?

Re: How to know when to replace filter housing? Top of filter "rising" when starting?

That's pretty normal but shouldn't be very much. The vessel flexes as pressure is applied. As far as the amount of rise, I don't think I've noticed more than 1/8", but certainly noticeable.

Lifespan will depend on exposure. If it's in the blazing sun all day, it won't last as long as if it's in the shade. Hopefully someone more experienced than me will chime in about lifespan, but one of the pool filters I look after is around 25 years old. Filters in irrigation are usually kept inside, and I don't recall ever hearing about one of those wearing out. Getting hit by a forklift, yeh, but not wearing out!

All filters expand when pressure is applied. It shouldn't be excessive.

Make sure that you're not putting more flow or pressure through the filter than it's rated for.

A slight bulging but no movement at the clamp and gasket is ok. I was concerned the clamp might be loose.

Do you backwash when your pressure rises 20-25% over clean pressure?

That filter is equipped with “auto” air relief, check performance & after start up the manual relief should purge no air.
Best to dissemble tank for inspection. Typical swelling moves up & width wise. If it is pronounced in on direction, usually upward then Have the tank professionally qualified.
Also tank looks “chalky” if you can scratch it with fingernail or light implement- replace. & treat new tank with a UV inhibiting spray

That's a manual air relief. Hayward stopped making the automatic air relief.

There's an internal air relief on the manifold.

Cant edit posts today??

Since they are identical appearance, age of tank would answer that question?
DEX2420MAR- old style w auto & manual lever

Thank you again JamesW, I appreciate the information.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The automatic air relief looks like the one in the below link. Flat on top with the smaller manual air relief on the side.

Hayward DE3620 Pro-Grid Vertical D.E. Filter, 36 Sq. Ft.

The Hayward Automatic Air Relief Assembly part number is DEX2420AR.

The DEX2420AR was discontinued and replaced with part number DEX2420MAR, which was discontinued and replaced with part number DEX2420MAR2.

"MAR" stands for manual air relief.

A slight bulging but no movement at the clamp and gasket is ok. I was concerned the clamp might be loose.

Do you backwash when your pressure rises 20-25% over clean pressure?

I'm not familiar with how/when to "backwash" a cartridge filter... Could you elaborate? Thank you,

- - - Updated - - -

That filter is equipped with “auto” air relief, check performance & after start up the manual relief should purge no air.
Best to dissemble tank for inspection. Typical swelling moves up & width wise. If it is pronounced in on direction, usually upward then Have the tank professionally qualified.
Also tank looks “chalky” if you can scratch it with fingernail or light implement- replace. & treat new tank with a UV inhibiting spray

Can I just replace the top half, or should I replace the whole housing/tank? Thank you,

What pump do you have?

What does the pressure gauge go up to when the pump is first turned on and what pressure does it settle at?

I'm not familiar with how/when to "backwash" a cartridge filter... Could you elaborate? Thank you,

- - - Updated - - -

Can I just replace the top half, or should I replace the whole housing/tank? Thank you,

Halves are available but quite pricey for what you get & the significant other has the same miles on it.

I’m from the “one & done” school. I’d wouldn’t contract a “half” replacement or do one at my own house.

091d63d685d0e8d24c8a9486315522c1.jpg

This is a private label tank by same manufacturer, which was also “growing” considerably.

Pump isn’t sounding too keen either.
Where do you live, I’m jealous it’s 8 degrees here.
Ray

All filters expand some when pressurised. It's hard to tell if there's anything wrong with yours.

Your pressure is higher than ideal. You could probably downsize the impeller by half and be fine.

Excessive pressure will shorten the life of the filter and greatly increase the risk of failure.

You cannot backwash a cartridge filter. I'm sure mknauss meant to ask how high the pressure rises when before you clean the cartridges. Do you know what the clean filter pressure is?

I'm not familiar with how/when to "backwash" a cartridge filter... Could you elaborate? Thank you

I am sorry. I skipped in my head it was a cartridge filter. Do you clean your cartridges when the pressure rises by 20-25% over clean pressure?

Take care

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.