Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
So, of course, the day before my contractor is showing up to outfit my "garage man-cave" I notice an exterior spigot leak on the side of my garage wall. Upon closer inspection, there is definitely some wetness there and so I had to tell my guy to not install one of the cabinets (for now) so that I can keep access open to the drywall (drywall is a lot easier to fix than stucco!). Upon disassembly what I discovered really ticked me off as it was a total FAIL of Basic Plumbing 101 For Dummies -

NEVER CONNECT GALVANIZED AND COPPER/BRASS FITTINGS!!!!!

So, here are some pictures of the autofill line that connected to this spigot -

litD7jRZR3iU0kcM%NvDRg.jpg

45oAjZYlS2mgpgSVjd4rEg.jpg

B1BFA007-4044-48B1-9C73-9342E72D6409.jpg

So, right where the that female coupling is in the first picture, a short 2" nipple was placed between the brass setup seen in picture and the interior brass fitting seen here through the drywall -

MYBmBuxZQFeTpTVX7p47nQ.jpg

And what did the lazy-butt plumber use (probably one of the kids working for him at the time) ... a GALVANIZED STEEL pipe. That's right, a galvanized steel pipe stuck between two brass fittings :brickwall::brickwall::brickwall: So, on cue 4 years later, the galvanized nipple had almost completely corroded to dust and was leaking. A quick run to Ace Hardware and $5 for a piece of brass pipe and we're back in business. Of course, now I have to fix my drywall (easy enough) and seal up the exterior stucco and then re-winterize the pipes. Thankfully we're in for mild weather in the 70's all weekend.

Moral of the Story - Double check and triple check your plumber's work and make sure they are following proper plumbing guidelines.

Of course, I have 99% of my man-cave installed, so I'm a pretty happy camper -

rbCL+3RrQxaNKcgE4m3BHw.jpg

LMs1dziWR5qrlhPyhfzJiQ.jpg

ntPHxnBLT%WVoVZ8LmK3Hw.jpg

cQoY0uVcRsKItludgNGZPw.jpg

We've got a lot of garage storage now!!

I don't think you have enough outlets over that workbench.

Wow. Nice place. I envy it.... Skippy the pack rat on the other hand would just fill it all up and start the piles on the floor again anyway.

Maddie :flower:

Matt,

If you can still see the top of the workbench... it is not yet a workshop/man-cave. :p

The last time I saw my bench top was three years ago...

Nice set up...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I’ve cursed my setup for years now as the fact I cannot see the top drives me nuts!!!

Not enough to clean it though.

How would you lose crucial parts and be forced to improvise or make new ones if you cleaned up?

Those are really cool handles. I could hardly wait to make them a bit greasy and black :)

Geez guys, just give me an hour -

IMG_0994.jpg

And that was only from one cabinet in the laundry room where I had been squirreling away stuff for years....I haven't even gotten to my pool drawers & cabinets yet....

Maddie,

I worked with a guy that was a jack-of-all-trades and amatuer machinist. His cars were parked all over his front lawn because his garage was his workshop (multiple lathes in various states of operability, drill presses...yes, plural, becuase you can never have enough drill presses, etc, etc). His one piece of advice to me over the years (well, there were many but not all are PG rated) was that a man can never have enough electrical outlets!! His garage had extension cords hanging from every joist in the ceiling and he had done his own "rework" of his electrical box to get some extra 15/20 amp circuits ... he was a very "colorful" person to say the least.

No worries guys, the cabinets will be stocked in no time. Expect another few pictures as the weekend progresses....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Highly inappropriate, juvenile humor from this sophisticated crowd? Surely you jest my good man. We only engage in the most intellectual, culturally advanced conversations.

:kim: :joker: :rendeer: :albino: :pig: :geek: :safe: :jocolor: :pth: Yeah here are some fine examples of which James speaks!!!!!

I believe James was thinking more along the lines of Brian’s Wanger -

Riverside, CA - Backyard Overhaul - Page 2

Riverside, CA - Backyard Overhaul - Page 3

You have to have a referral just to get on the waiting list to buy a bottle. It's not sold to just anyone.

Some people are better suited to drinking mad dog 2020 from their Flintstones collectible glasses to wash down their Large Macs and Whoppers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.