Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check your plumber's work!

1. Back To Top    #1

Check your plumber's work!

So, of course, the day before my contractor is showing up to outfit my "garage man-cave" I notice an exterior spigot leak on the side of my garage wall. Upon closer inspection, there is definitely some wetness there and so I had to tell my guy to not install one of the cabinets (for now) so that I can keep access open to the drywall (drywall is a lot easier to fix than stucco!). Upon disassembly what I discovered really ticked me off as it was a total FAIL of Basic Plumbing 101 For Dummies -

NEVER CONNECT GALVANIZED AND COPPER/BRASS FITTINGS!!!!!

So, here are some pictures of the autofill line that connected to this spigot -

litD7jRZR3iU0kcM%NvDRg.jpg

45oAjZYlS2mgpgSVjd4rEg.jpg

B1BFA007-4044-48B1-9C73-9342E72D6409.jpg

So, right where the that female coupling is in the first picture, a short 2" nipple was placed between the brass setup seen in picture and the interior brass fitting seen here through the drywall -

MYBmBuxZQFeTpTVX7p47nQ.jpg

And what did the lazy-butt plumber use (probably one of the kids working for him at the time) ... a GALVANIZED STEEL pipe. That's right, a galvanized steel pipe stuck between two brass fittings So, on cue 4 years later, the galvanized nipple had almost completely corroded to dust and was leaking. A quick run to Ace Hardware and $5 for a piece of brass pipe and we're back in business. Of course, now I have to fix my drywall (easy enough) and seal up the exterior stucco and then re-winterize the pipes. Thankfully we're in for mild weather in the 70's all weekend.

Moral of the Story - Double check and triple check your plumber's work and make sure they are following proper plumbing guidelines.

Of course, I have 99% of my man-cave installed, so I'm a pretty happy camper -

rbCL+3RrQxaNKcgE4m3BHw.jpg

LMs1dziWR5qrlhPyhfzJiQ.jpg

ntPHxnBLT%WVoVZ8LmK3Hw.jpg

cQoY0uVcRsKItludgNGZPw.jpg

We've got a lot of garage storage now!!
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Check your plumber's work!

I don't think you have enough outlets over that workbench.

Wow. Nice place. I envy it.... Skippy the pack rat on the other hand would just fill it all up and start the piles on the floor again anyway.

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Matt,

If you can still see the top of the workbench... it is not yet a workshop/man-cave.

The last time I saw my bench top was three years ago...

Nice set up...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Matt,

If you can still see the top of the workbench... it is not yet a workshop/man-cave.

The last time I saw my bench top was three years ago...

Nice set up...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    I’ve cursed my setup for years now as the fact I cannot see the top drives me nuts!!!

Not enough to clean it though.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo View Post
    I’ve cursed my setup for years now as the fact I cannot see the top drives me nuts!!!

Not enough to clean it though.
    Lee,

Every time I try and clean up, I never finish before a new project comes along, destroying any clean up attempt in the process...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

How would you lose crucial parts and be forced to improvise or make new ones if you cleaned up?

Those are really cool handles. I could hardly wait to make them a bit greasy and black
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, K-1106 and CCL test kits; Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWCG 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; Other family pools 10K SWCG and 15K on liquid; PoolMath app subscriber; | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

7. Back To Top    #7

Geez guys, just give me an hour -

IMG_0994.jpg

And that was only from one cabinet in the laundry room where I had been squirreling away stuff for years....I haven't even gotten to my pool drawers & cabinets yet....

Maddie,

I worked with a guy that was a jack-of-all-trades and amatuer machinist. His cars were parked all over his front lawn because his garage was his workshop (multiple lathes in various states of operability, drill presses...yes, plural, becuase you can never have enough drill presses, etc, etc). His one piece of advice to me over the years (well, there were many but not all are PG rated) was that a man can never have enough electrical outlets!! His garage had extension cords hanging from every joist in the ceiling and he had done his own "rework" of his electrical box to get some extra 15/20 amp circuits ... he was a very "colorful" person to say the least.

No worries guys, the cabinets will be stocked in no time. Expect another few pictures as the weekend progresses....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

No neon beer signs = NO man Cave!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    No neon beer signs = NO man Cave!
    There will DEFINITELY be highly inappropriate, juvenile humor signs all over....I’m currently sorting through the contenders...

Suggestions are welcome...
    Matt

10. Back To Top    #10

Got this for our bother-in-law (yeah that IS what we call him LOL):

Personalized Bar Wall PlaquesThe Lakeside Collection

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

I dunno, I like this one -

Oakmont Personalized Pub Sign (Signature Series)

There will also have to be a wall mounted beer bottle opener with one of these -

Beer Cap Map of USA, Large
    Matt

12. Back To Top    #12

OH I HAVE to get that beer cap one for hubby and BIL! THANKS!
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Nice cabinets, Matt. They'd go perfectly with some racedeck flooring you know, like this:
    image.jpg
    In ground vinyl Grecian, 24k gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, VGreen VSP 165, Hayward SWG, Raypak NG 265k heater, dolphin m4.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Swampwoman View Post
    Nice cabinets, Matt. They'd go perfectly with some racedeck flooring you know, like this:
    image.jpg
    Yeah, I wanted to do flooring but couldn’t justify the cost. I’ll have to settle for the concrete.

The downside is, it’s the garage. So when June rolls around and the heat kicks in, the garage goes up to 140F on a good day. I’ll be needing one of these -

Portacool Hurricane 370 | Portable Evaporative Cooler
    Matt

15. Back To Top    #15

Highly inappropriate, juvenile humor from this sophisticated crowd? Surely you jest my good man. We only engage in the most intellectual, culturally advanced conversations.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

16. Back To Top    #16

Yeah here are some fine examples of which James speaks!!!!!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Highly inappropriate, juvenile humor from this sophisticated crowd? Surely you jest my good man. We only engage in the most intellectual, culturally advanced conversations.
    Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Yeah here are some fine examples of which James speaks!!!!!
    I believe James was thinking more along the lines of Brian’s Wanger -

Riverside, CA - Backyard Overhaul - Page 2

Riverside, CA - Backyard Overhaul - Page 3
    Matt

18. Back To Top    #18

Ok, maybe we let a little bit humor slip by every now and again after one too many glasses of Borl & Kroff Brut.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Ok, maybe we let a little bit humor slip by every now and again after one too many glasses of Borl & Kroff Brut.
    Does that come in 6-pack and, if bottled, is it with twist-off or pry-off caps??
    Matt

20. Back To Top    #20

You have to have a referral just to get on the waiting list to buy a bottle. It's not sold to just anyone.

Some people are better suited to drinking mad dog 2020 from their Flintstones collectible glasses to wash down their Large Macs and Whoppers.
    Support the site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast