Emptying my pool as I type.. Cya levels I need to maintain?

Aug 17, 2017
Chandler
I am in AZ and I am emptying my pool as I type. Last time I checked, cya is more than 500 or worse as the R0013 test hid the black dot very easily and before it got to 1/4 of the tube. A long way to go to 100 level and down.

11000 gallon pool and I am emptying 95% of the water.

So I have some Tri-color that I am thinking of adding for few weeks (intermittently as this being winter) and getting the CYA increased slowly.

Tell me if that works or just I should abandon Tricolor and just add plain cya to desired level (40 ppm) and then just add liquid chlorine and Mauratic acid?

k,

As long as you test and monitor your CYA level then using Trichlor will work just fine... until you get your CYA where you want it..

I have to assume that "Tri-color" is a new chlorinating powder sold by pool $tores that turns your FC red, your CC, yellow, and your TC orange... :p

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

k,

As long as you test and monitor your CYA level then using Trichlor will work just fine... until you get your CYA where you want it..

I have to assume that "Tri-color" is a new chlorinating powder sold by pool $tores that turns your FC red, your CC, yellow, and your TC orange... :p

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

My idea was to increase around 6PPM with Tricholor, which means add 4 tablets and then add chlorine and Mauratic acid. Test it after a day and then see if I need to add any more CYA (using tablets). Once I am around 40, I am not going to use powder chlorine of any sorts, just liquid chlorine.

I am emptying the pool for a 2nd time in 3 years because of the CYA increase. I learned my lesson and never again I am using powder chlorine. Too much cya, added sodium to the water and other and things have happpened.

k,

One 8 oz Trichlor tablet will increase your CYA by 2.8 ppm... So four tablets would be about 11.2. That assumes an 8 oz tablet, yours may be different...

Your plan sounds like it will work to me...

You also might want to think about going with a Saltwater Chlorine Generator... We have a lot of AZ members with saltwater pools..

Thanks,

Jim R.

k,

Go to the PoolMath link at the top of this page... Enter your pool volume at the very top and then scroll to the bottom and find "Effects of adding chemicals"..

Enter in the oz. and then select Trichlor from the drop down list.

PoolMath will then tell you what that amount of Trichlor will do to your pool..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.