Polaris 280 - Idler wheel not engaging

learthur

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Sep 9, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas, USA
So I was inspecting my Polaris 280 and realized only the front 2 big wheels actively turn.

The small middle (idler) wheel and the large rear wheel don't actively turn.
The idler wheel doesn't make tight enough contact with the large front wheel to make the 2 passive wheels turn.
The idler wheel appears to have a little clutch/spring mechanism which is designed to keep it tight up against the front wheel for power, however it has reached the end of its adjustable range and still isn't tight against the front wheel.

Has anyone had to fix this problem before?

Possible solutions in my mind could be:
1) Replace worn tire wheel (although they don't look that bad).
2) Perhaps some type of adjustment to the idler wheel clutch?

Thanks,

Lee

Thanks for the info. After reading your post I took the cover off my Polaris and realized the back wheel was loose and had slid back out of contact with the idler wheel. I remember now a few months ago Polaris got something in the pool wrapped around that wheel and that must have been what did it.

So repositioned back wheel and tightened everything up. While I was there I "rotated" the tires and everything is good again. I will go for a few more miles on these tires and then take your suggestion and put new rubber on the wheels.

Thanks,

Lee

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.