My heart may be stopping????

May 10, 2009
I believe the worst is happening, my pump may be dying and I'm just here to see if my thoughts are correct. My pump when activating on its timer, now begins by making a buzzing sound, it goes on for about 15 seconds then cuts off. During this time no water is flowing, and about every 2 minutes this cycle continues. Eventually after 20 minutes, the pump runs and runs well until the timer shuts it off and after its 12hr off cycle begins the restarting procedure and the buzzing begins. Is the pump mechanism locking up or could this be an electrical/wiring or circuit breaker issue? The pump is 6 years old. Any help would be appreciated!

Also just want to add, this site has been great. It has provided me with the first summer of crystal clear water, and no headache maintenance. I love that I can get a quick response when needed or can do some reading and find out lots of my answers that way. I am a tfp believer!!

Sounds like your run / start capacitor is weak and failing. It's that buldge on the motor, or sometimes in the rear housing.

The pump should be turned off until it's replaced. If the motor is allowed to "buzz" it will damage the armature since it's getting all the normal current but has no rotation to keep it cool.

Another thought (possibly related) - when the pump is running is there any water dripping from the pump - motor interface? You may have a leaking shaft seal assembly which could rust the motor's shaft and make the pump work harder to get it to turn, which can eventually take it's toll on the capacitor. The sooner you correct the problem, the better the prognosis for the motor :cool:

Good point a leaking shaft seal will dry out the bearing, and make it hard for the motor to start. Which is a better diagnosis, because like I said generally run caps don't get weak they just fail. But I figured the high pitch whine of the motor would have been mentioned. =P

When the motor does start, does it sound normal? Or like your nieghbors motor? ... Bearings that are going bad are sometimes hard for homeowners to hear, since they gradually get louder and louder, and they don't realise its wrong until they have a pool party and everyone has to yell in conversation. =P

There are no drips or water leaking anywhere. Dry as a bone. When it starts the pump sounds absolutely normal, no louder than normal, only weird thing is that buzz or hum upon trying to start. The buzz goes away as soon as the pump starts moving water. Not sure how long this has been going on, could have been days, but the weekend was here and I was home to catch it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.