Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robots That Handle Newer Main Drains

1. Back To Top    #1

Robots That Handle Newer Main Drains

I'll be investing in a new robot this year upon opening the pool in April, and am reaching out for any recommendations here.

Our Dolphin DX-4 robot really only worked well its first year (it's 5 years old now). It's been plagued with power supply failures (went thru 3 of them), but none since I started putting a cover over it when it's out of the pool.

The biggest issue for the last three years has been its uncanny ability to get "stuck" on the main drains. When it gets hung up on one (yep...we've got 2 main drains....double the fun!) it spins around, sometimes for as long as 10-15 minutes.

So I'll be wanting a new robot that's less likely to get "trapped" on the main drain.

It seems, from my readings here, that the Maytronics M-500 might be the least likely to get hung up on the drains because of it's "dual drive". I like this feature, and the fact it's got a top-loading filter. I also like that it's got the swivel cord on it. (LOL....I suspect that if our DX-4 didn't have the swivel, it would have pulled the power supply out of the socket at some point).

My hesitation about the M-500 is its size...it seems huge. Our pool is only 12,000 gallons, so it won't have a lot of ground to cover when it cleans. I'm wondering if there's another robot model I should be looking at that's not quite so enormous, yet won't get caught on the drains?

Advice and suggestions, as always, are welcome!
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Robots That Handle Newer Main Drains

S300 gets stuck alot as well.. frustrating

3. Back To Top    #3

It might be cheaper to try this -

Main Drain Clip-On - Pool Maintenance Simplified

Or, look up the Polaris UniBridge drain cover replacement. These were both discussed recently in this thread -

Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club - Page 44
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Joyful...thanks for those tips.

The main drain clip-on web site admits that robot cleaners have mixed results, with some seeing improvement, some seeing their robot getting stuck even more.

The UniBridge cover might be something to look at, but I'm not convinced it will work well for us. Our pool doesn't have a deep end, so the kiddos are always contacting the drain covers.
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

5. Back To Top    #5

Buy M500 and forget about of robot.
    Climbing or no...
    Cleaning or no.
    Stuck or no...
    You can easily find with $1299+tax

if you have any dolphin dealer near your location, most of them have demo. You can try 2-3 days...
    12000 Gallon In ground Pool with Spa Spillway. 32X18 Free Shape Pebble Finish.
    Hayward 2.4 Hp for Pool + 1.5 hp for Water Fall, Hayward DE6020 filter, Hayward H400 Heater(Gas).
    4+1 Main Drains / 6 Returns / 2 Skimmers. Taylor 2006-C Test Kit, M500

6. Back To Top    #6

mdogan...I am leaning towards the M500, but was kind of hoping there were other robots worth considering, too.

7. Back To Top    #7

The M500 would be overkill for your pool. I have an S300i with standard drain covers and my robot works fine. If it hits the drain cover it might, might, get stuck for 20-30 seconds and then power thrusts itself off (it uses a combination of treads and water jets to turn). It’s never been a problem.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

There's a dealer nearby I'll visit and find out what their demo policy is and audition both the S300i and the M500 (if they have both, that is).

It strikes me as curious, though, that the Polaris robots aren't talked about much here....must be a reason, I suppose.

9. Back To Top    #9

Dolphin is by far more popular and Polaris has had more bad reviews here than good ones. Dolphin has been in to powered robotic cleaner (ie, not pool pump operated) much longer than any other vendor. Their product engineering is years ahead of anyone else in the game.

- - - Updated - - -

If I were to be forced to buy a pressure cleaner, I would go with Polaris. If I were to go with a suction cleaner, I’d go with Hayward or Pentair. Robots are Dolphin all the way...
    Matt

10. Back To Top    #10

My pool came with a Polaris 9350. Since I didnít do any research before hand I really wasnít sure of itís reputation. But I will say that I have been happy with hours. I changed the filter to the super fine filter and itís picked up a lot. Two observations: 1) there seems to be a timer that turns it off after some run time. I havenít quite figured out what it is? 2) the lift system is annoying. I canít quite seem to figure out how the sequence of buttons to push. One bonus observation: the robot seem to be a little lost today, vacuuming the same spot for a good while. I finally convinced it to move along and all was good. It picked up a LOT of sand since I changed it to the fine silt filter. Since mine is a new build, no grass has grown so a lot of the fill sand for the yard makes it into the pool.
    Rectangular 24'x40' Salt Water, 4' to 6'. Pentair EasyTouch 8, Screen Logic 2, w/wireless kit. Pentair IntelliFlo VSF Pump, Pentair CCP520 Cartridge Filter, Pentair IC60 Cell, Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe finish. ~28,000 gallons. TF-100 Test Kit. Completed: Dec 2017 Build Thread

11. Back To Top    #11

mhosborn

Dolphin Nautilus Plus inground Robotic Pool Cleaner with CleverClean
    Dolphin Oasis Z5
    Dolphin Premier
    12000 Gallon In ground Pool with Spa Spillway. 32X18 Free Shape Pebble Finish.
    Hayward 2.4 Hp for Pool + 1.5 hp for Water Fall, Hayward DE6020 filter, Hayward H400 Heater(Gas).
    4+1 Main Drains / 6 Returns / 2 Skimmers. Taylor 2006-C Test Kit, M500

12. Back To Top    #12

I have no problem with mine yet
    Baytown, TX- A&S 2017 build 35'x20 18,000 gal , IG SWG system, 3'-6.5' with tanning shelf, Jandy FloPro 2 HP VS w/ controller, Nature 2 Fusion Soft 1400, Polaris sport 9450 robot, 460 sq ft cartridge filter, 1 Hayward colorlogic pool light, A&S white mini pebble plaster, 12" sq edge travertine coping and blue sea- light water tile

13. Back To Top    #13

Just a follow up to earlier posts...

On a whim, I emailed Maytronics US customer service to learn what they'd recommend for a robot that's less likely to get hung up on main drains. They replied a day later and said they'd recommend the M400, as it has a bottom brush that spins faster than the drive brushes.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by mhosborn View Post
    Just a follow up to earlier posts...

On a whim, I emailed Maytronics US customer service to learn what they'd recommend for a robot that's less likely to get hung up on main drains. They replied a day later and said they'd recommend the M400, as it has a bottom brush that spins faster than the drive brushes.
    That may work. Dolphin Oasis Z5 probably be just fine too for less money. I have smartpool cleaner with dual drive. It gets itself off the main drains and much cheaper than the dolphins. Don't know how long it will last but so far its holding up.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

I hope I can assist, I'm part of the Maytronics US sales team. I won't be able to be on the site consistently and I may not respond to PM's as quickly as I'd like but I want to make sure the info shared on this site is accurate.

The M400 and M500 are built on the same chassis. They both have the center scrubbing brush and will perform identically. They will absolutely not get caught on main drains.

The benefit of the M500 is in the customization of cleaning patterns. (Floor only, Wall only, Ultra Clean, Quick Clean, etc.) The M500 will also have an additional year of warranty (4 years total) when the warranty is registered online using a code provided by an authorized dealer.

On a side note, turning off the main drains will allow the S-series and Active Series cleaners to more easily navigate off of the drain should they get high-centered during the cleaning cycle.

16. Back To Top    #16

My dolphin would get stuck on the main drain on or off. The drain being off did make it easier to get off, but it would sometimes be stuck there for quite awhile.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

17. Back To Top    #17

My Aquabot would always get stuck on my SDX cover. Just got a Dolphin Nautilus Plus last month and it hasn't gotten stuck once.
    33,1K gallon IG Vinyl - 1.5hp Sta-Rite Supermax VS - Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter - 35w 12v LED Color Change Pentair Amerlite 300w - Dolphin Nautilus Plus

18. Back To Top    #18

That could partially be because its new and the tracks and everything haven't worn down.

19. Back To Top    #19

Our 3 yr old Dolphin Triton runs a complete cycle of 3 hours, 3-4 times a week year round and it has yet to fail on me. It scrubs the tiles, climb the steps, ledge and sun shelf with ease.
    We originally have 2 Hayward main drain like this but a couple of months ago, the Plaster guy replaced them with this. I was so worried, thought my robot will get stuck on it! But nah...I was wrong! It was built like a tank. If it die now, I'll buy the same model in a heartbeat. Good luck!

https://www.poolzoom.com/dolphin-tri...SABEgKNv_D_BwE
    Last edited by Meadow; 02-06-2018 at 12:41 PM. Reason: added link
    20k gallons, IG plaster with raised Spa, Hayward C-4000 cartridge, Hayward TriStar SP3202VSP, Hayward H400 gas heater, Hayward Super II (2HP) Spa jets, Hayward Swimpure Plus T-15,
    Intermatic PS3000 SPD, PureLine-PureColor LED's, Dolphin Triton cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006, K-1766, OTO Test kit & various Guess strips.

20. Back To Top    #20

DolphinRep -- Many thanks for weighing in on this discussion for us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast