Lower CYA?

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
twokidz said:
This is my 1st time posting a message, so here's a brief history to bring you up to date...

Four yrs ago we had a 26k gallon in ground pool installed w/ a heater. For the first four yrs I was under the impression that all I had to do was check the water weekly with the teststrips (which I did religiously) Ocassionally making slight adjustments with the help of the pool store. This year when they opened the pool we discovered that our heat exchanger had pin holes in it. I am told this was a result of bad water chemistry.

I went right out and purchased the Leslie's Total Poolcare DPD test Kit. In researching a new pool heater I discovered your website and signed right up. Since I've been using the new test kit my total and free chlorine #'s are always 5ppm+ (outside the 5ppm max of this test kit) I just ordered the TF Test kits FAS/DPD Chlorine test.

My #'s today (Sunday 8-2) are:

Free CH 5+
Total CH 5+
PH 7.3
Alk 90
Calcuim H 280
CY 100++

My question is; once I get the new test kit should I let my chlorine #'s stay high if my CYA is always 100+ (based on the Chlorine/CYA chart) or should I lower my CYA and go for the #'s recommended on the site for vinyl pools?

I should mention that to get mychlorine #'s @ the 5+ they are now, I sometimes have to turn off the chlorinator (3" dichlor) for days at a time. I live in the Northeast USA (Long Island) the water in the pool is clear. I hope I have explained this all correctly.

Thank you for your help.

18'x40' 26,000 gallon vinyl in ground
Hayward Sand Filter (s244s) 62GPM 1 1/2 hp
Jandy Lite heater (LJ325N)
Polaris 380 Robot
Hayward Automatic Chlorine Feeder

dichlor is adding cya, though I suspect you mean trichlor if it's a chlorine tab feeder (chlorinator) you're talking about. you need to stop adding cya now and you really need to drain some water, especially if you don't truly know your cya level. cya of 100+ requires a lot of chlorine to keep up with, which in turn makes your testing significantly longer, etc.
you can use the dilution method if you would like for a bigger range on your FC test and CYA test, though you lose some accuracy. with the FC test you need distilled water, which you may or may not have. half pool water and half distilled water gets you a range of 10ppm. this is still mostly worthless with a cya of 100+. with the cya test you can use half pool water and half tap water, then multiply your result by 2.
your numbers look mostly ok, the TA is a bit low for using chlorine tabs, but hopefully you won't be using them anymore.

I strongly recommend that you replace water to get CYA below 100, preferably down to around 50. As reebok already pointed out, both dichlor and trichlor add CYA, which is just making things worse.

Thank You for the quick response.I am confused by what you mean when you say that a cya of 100+ will take a lot of chlorine to keep up with.I have to shut the chloinator off at times to keep the chlorine level down.Also you were right about the trichlor.Thanks Again

TC of 5 is not high for chlorine when you have 100 CYA. The proper sanitary range with CYA of 100 is 8 to 13 and your Target should be around 11. Shock level would be 25. If your CYA is higher than 100 then the chlorine range should be even higher.

Depending on the pool's specific specs, draining more than 1/3 at a time could be harmful. You don't want to cause damage to the liner so in general we say 1/3, refill, recirculate, retest, repeat if necessary until the CYA is into range.

With an inground vinyl pool, the usual advice is to drain down to where you have at least 1' water left in the shallow end, or down to your local groundwater level, whichever is higher. You want to keep enough water in there to keep the liner in place, and you don't want the groundwater trying to make the pool "float."

Let us know if your local water table is high, there are some other tricks you can do that will end up using more water but will avoid any potential damage to the pool.
--paulr

Well I drained about 1/3 of my pool, leaving 1' in the shallow end.I refilled and let the filter run all night and my cya is now at 100 wich is a slight improvement. I am going to try it one more time and see what happens.Thanks for the advice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.