Safe to Clean behind light?

Wes45

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 15, 2009
Garland, TX
I'm shocking my pool for mustard algae and the only place in my pool where some might be lurking is behind my light. I have a 500W light fixture connected to a dimmer. Is it safe to get in the pool and unscrew it to see if there is any algae behind the light fixture that needs to be scrubbed out? I've checked/cleaned any other possible spots or devices that it could be hiding out at.
I've never done anything with the light before so really not sure what to expect.

I know in the days of old when I was having mustard algae outbreaks I found the light niche to be a source of mustard algae infection that is hard to kill with chlorine.

I would recommend you pull the lights, clean the light housings and niche of any algae and then let the light fixtures dangle OUT of the niche in the water while you do the shock procedure to help get the chlorine in the niche as much as possible.

Good luck,

Lee

Oh. As for electrical safety. There are several things to protect you from electrocution.

1) Turn off the lights at the breaker.
2) Lighting circuits to a wet location should be connected via a GFCI. This can be in the form of a GFCI breaker in your breaker box, or connected off of a GFCI electrical outlet nearby your pool equipment. These devices DO FAIL with old age after a while (I have gone through several inside and outside my home) which is why they all have a TEST button.
3) The light housing itself is designed (theoretically) to be water proof. You shouldn't have to open it except to change a light bulb. All the dangerous current/voltage is inside of the water proof housing and cord....unless its no longer water proof for some reason.
4) Always use your brain when it comes to electricity.

Lee

Ya, whenever I treat a green pool or a pool with suborn algae issues, I always remove the lights so the area in the nitch can be treated. Also inspect the light and gasket, green algae loves to grow there. If i see any algae issues on the gaskets I replace them and the bulbs while Im at it. Careful of the cord inlet to the light, these seals tend to leak once they have been disturbed. If your replacing the gasket / bulb I always put a bead of silicone on the cord inlet completly incasing the gromit making sure the silicone bonds to the metal and the cord, this must be done with the light glass out or temp changes will make air bubbles in the silicone if there ever was a leak on it.

Thanks for the information, I'll get out there and take it out. Was always hesitant to touch it. Here are a few pictures of the algae that I saw yesterday.[attachment=0:3mnylkb7]Pool algae post3.jpg[/attachment:3mnylkb7]

Attachments

• Pool algae post1.jpg
    Pool algae post1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 204
  • Pool Algae post2.jpg
    Pool Algae post2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 203
  • Pool algae post3.jpg
    Pool algae post3.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 203
Wes, you certainly have something trying to take hold :x

A few years ago I went out on a limb and suggested using a 'turkey baster' full of dilute bleach to 'squirt' a lethal dose of cl into lights and into AG 'wedding cake' stairs bi-weekly. I was met with derision :rant: I personally believe that 'turkey bastering' those closed areas bi-weekly will help to keep those low flow areas algae free :!:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :wink:

Makes sense to me Ted. Since i've never removed the light I'm afraid of what I'm going to find. My pool is close to 4 years old and I've never had the light off for any reason. Hopefully that will be where I find the final bit of my problem lurking. If I have a bad problem behind there, I'll probably use a turkey baster as I'm scrubbing it away.

Ya yellow algae is like cancer, if you don't get it all it will come back. After it looks gone, make sure to check the gaskets, grills, clean the filters. ... and the pump lid/basket why they make em clear now I have no idea. Just makes the perfect little incubator when the pump is off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.