Can you back wash too often?

Jun 25, 2009
Loogootee, IN
Hi Folks,

The last few weeks I have had quite a bit of rain fall in my area. although my pool is clean and no pressure build up, Is it ok to back wash and lose some of the "free" water?

Or would it not be advised, instead, just let the kids splash the water out while swimming/playing.

There seems to be a certain level where the water doesn't get any lower. If rain or fresh water fill up, the kids manage to splash it out to that "level" within 3-4 swims....

So far in the last 2 months, I have backwashed 5 times. the first time back washing the water was med. brown and I had too much sand in it. the other 4 times the water was light brown and within 10-15sec. it was crystal clear. Same results with the sight glass. last 3 times have been over the course of 4 weeks due to extra water due to rain....

Your filter is more effective if it's a little dirty. For best results you shouldn't backwash unless your pressure indicates you need to do so.

I cannot tell you about overfilling an AG pool, as I have no experience with them.

You could always pump to waste instead of back-washing.

The excess water will drain out on its own at the skimmer but it could make a bit of a mess depending on what's below the skimmer on the outside of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.