2018 Bleach Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only are the new Walmart brand bleach bottles now only 6%, but they are also lower volume, and deceptively so.

It used to be 1 gallon, which = 3.78 L or 4 quarts.

It is now 0.945 gallons, which = 3.78 quarts.

Note the decision to pick a volume so that it equals 3.78 quarts. I believe it is hoped that that 3.78 will seem familiar, because you used to get 3.78 L.

So lower concentration and less of it.

I stopped by the Ocean State Job Lot here in CT recently, they've started stocking some summer time stuff but no the pool supplies yet. The website shows an advertisement for the same gallon of 12.5% 'shock' for $2.99 as last year. So I'm hoping for that when I actually see it on the shelves.

Our local HEB just dropped their store brand to $2.59, still 8.25%. Been using it for a year with no issues, always less than 30 days old.

Solar Breeze - Aquabot 4WD - TFP

Yep......Bleach run day. Nice shiny new bottles of Great Value bleach at Wally World on a display in the aisle. Thought great......don't have to walk quite as far! Strange.........Lord knows I've bought enough to notice the entire label change. Checked it out.....down to 6% AT SAME PRICE OF $2.94 PER Gallon here. Went to normal shelf and bought the last 15 gallons they had of the OLD 8.25% at same price. I guess now they're gonna start selling my beer in 10 ounce cans (trade war with the world on steel and aluminum ya' know)..........and RAISE the price!

Be careful. Liquid chlorine loses it potency with time even when stored in a cool place. I bought some from Home Depot last year before noticing the production date, and later found it was almost a year old and had been stored outside in Texas over the summer. Sure enough, when I put it in the pool it had very little effect.

- - - Updated - - -

I would suggest is it is too difficult to compare prices when people are quoting a per-ounce price of the diluted chlorine. if you have a gallon of the chlorine at 10% concentration, that is 0.1 X 128 ounces, or 12.8 equivalent ounces of chlorine in the jug (chlorine gas is dissolved in the water, but one can get an equivalent potency measure this way) . if you paid $2 for the jug, that's 200 cents/12.8 ounces, or 15.6 cents per ounce of chlorine. The same calculation for paying $1.50 for 8% chlorine would be 150 / (0.08 X 100) or 18.8 cents per ounce of chlorine. You might think the $1.50 jug is a better deal until you run the numbers.

So far I've got about 30 entries in our survey that you can find here............

The results so far are kinda interesting to me. So far still by far refillable or bulk purchases are the cheapest which isn't a shocker. Users who are currently using 8.25% liquid chlorine are reporting prices on average of about .30cents per OZ of chlorine. 10% users are paying around .22cents per OZ but this was greatly lowered by the cheapest purchase so far by a user. This user pays .13cents per OZ or $8 for 4 gallons of 10%. If we were to remove that entry 10% users are reporting the chlorine costs about .26cents per OZ. Lastly users who purchased 12.5% chlorine are paying about .22cents per OZ. These users appear to know a good deal when they see one too as the majority of them are buying in bulk when they do make a purchase. :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Atwoods Ranch and Home is located in lower KS, OK, upper TX, & AR. They are still showing the same $2.99 price I have paid the last few years for 11%. They have a sale often. Then it's $2.50 a gallon IIRC. The date codes all usually indicate fairly recent stuff.

Menards is advertising 12.5% for $3.99 ($3.55 after their constant 11% savings sales) per gallon. I haven't used theirs so no knowledge on date codes.

That makes Atwoods $0.212 per ounce of chlorine (21.2 cents) at normal price. $0.177 per ounce of chlorine (17.7 cents) at their sale prices.
That makes Menards $0.249 per ounce of chlorine (24.9 cents) at normal price. $0.221 per ounce of chlorine (22.1 cents) at their sale prices.

Atwoods Ranch and Home is located in lower KS, OK, upper TX, & AR. They are still showing the same $2.99 price I have paid the last few years for 11%. They have a sale often. Then it's $2.50 a gallon IIRC. The date codes all usually indicate fairly recent stuff.

Menards is advertising 12.5% for $3.99 ($3.55 after their constant 11% savings sales) per gallon. I haven't used theirs so no knowledge on date codes.

That makes Atwoods $0.212 per ounce of chlorine (21.2 cents) at normal price. $0.177 per ounce of chlorine (17.7 cents) at their sale prices.
That makes Menards $0.249 per ounce of chlorine (24.9 cents) at normal price. $0.221 per ounce of chlorine (22.1 cents) at their sale prices.

Menards is usually good. Kept inside and usually fresh. You just gotta wait for the bogo sale, usually mid-april

so the regular walmart bleach is 6% and cost $1.77 a jug.
The concentrated bleach is 6% and cost $2.96 a jug.

Has anyone tested the concentrated bleach to see if it is in fact 6%? Maybe it's a printing mistake?

We have some plain Walmart bleach for the laundry (not sure which specific version it is) which is 6% stuff. Right below the ingredients which say it's 6% is a note which says 5.7% available chlorine. I've never seen a note like that. This could mess with a person calculations possibly?

We have some plain Walmart bleach for the laundry (not sure which specific version it is) which is 6% stuff. Right below the ingredients which say it's 6% is a note which says 5.7% available chlorine. I've never seen a note like that. This could mess with a person calculations possibly?

No, percent available chlorine is just the weight % of sodium hypochlorite converted to units of chlorine gas concentration. It’s fairly common to quote both the % hypochlorite and the % Av. Cl2 for comparative analysis. Some shipping and packaging regulations require it.

Atwood drops to $2.49 a gallon if you buy a four pack pretty much year round. Last year they ran a special for the month of April I believe it was $1.88 a gallon. I actually came on this thread to see if it was on special yet. I open next week.

Leslie's Pool sends coupons on a regular basis for 2.5g refills (they say concentration varies between 10-12%) for 2@ $6.99, so about $1.40/g. Once in a while the price goes up to $7.99 or the deal is 3 for $10.99. Plus they have a punch card system for one free refill every 10 punches, with Wednesday double punches.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.