Learning to apply BBB to Hot Tub

Jun 1, 2008
NW MO
We finally got our hot tub repaired and filled with water. I have read the "How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or poo)?" post a couple times and I have been keeping my AGP balanced well.

First numbers straight from city water:

FC = 2.5
CC = 0
pH = >8.2
TA = 180
CH = 150

First on my agenda was to bring the pH down - I decided that since I also want to lower my TA to bring the pH down to 7.2 and with the natural aeration of the hot tub the pH will rise back up. I added acid according to the pool calculator and it was down to something between 7.5 & 7.8, so I added more acid to lower it some more.

Next I added some DiChlor to raise the FC and CYA. I added enough to raise the FC to 10, but in my conversion from ounces to teaspoons somewhere I went wrong and ended up with a FC of 12 - but this retest may have been a little early for full mixing to occur. I know in my AGP you all say to wait 30 min for full mixing to occur, how long should i wait in a hot tub?

So do I appear to be on the right track?

My goals are:
FC 3-5
pH 7.4-7.6 (after I lower my TA)
TA 80
CH 130-150
FC 3-5

Assuming you are shooting for CYA around 30 your targets look good to me. FC might not need to be quite so high, unless you are using it pretty much every day.

In my spa the circulation is pretty strong and 5 minutes to circulate chems would be plenty.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.