Skimmer gate sticks closed, what to do?

Gooserider

LifeTime Supporter
Due to all the rain we have had this summer in New England, our in-ground gunnite pool is at or above it's maximum normal water level. Since I don't know what the weather will do in the future however, I'm reluctant to pump any water out of the pool. I don't know of any serious problems that being over full should cause, and I would just as soon not get rid of the water I have now, just to need to put it back later as metered town water...

However I am having a problem with the wier gate on our skimmer - it keeps getting stuck in the closed position, usually when somebody has been using the pool and thus generating wave action to push the gate back and forth... When this happens it restricts the flow into the skimmer enough that the skimmer basket empties out most of the way and the pump starts sucking air as well as water. :(

As best I can tell, the problem is that the 20+ year old skimmer gate has worn it's pivots to the point where it is hitting on the top edge of the skimmer and is getting hung up. My initial thought for a fix is to trim a quarter inch or so off the top edge of the gate so that it can't hit the top of the skimmer any longer... Does anyone know of a reason NOT to do this, or have a different suggestion for a fix?

Gooserider

If you don't have the stock weir in there, it could be the expand o type where the hinge is a spring with two rubber pads on each end and is held in place by the force of the spring. Anyway, you may be able to grab the hinge and sort of push down a little just enough to free it up. not so far though that the weir could swing forward and cause problems. Does that make sense?

Cool avatar, I affectionately call them Moto Gluttens.

What you same makes sense PC, but far as I can tell it's the stock weir - and I don't see or feel any way to remove it without major surgery... However pushing and pulling on it I must have at least a quarter inch of play, if not more... Definite major wear on the pivot points.

Gooserider

Thought I was on the wrong forum when I saw that avatar. There's no stoves here.

I had the same problem with my weir, I attached a short piece of plastic using a stainless screw to the top of the flap to prevent it from closing all the way. It still skims fine, and doesn't let all the bugs float back out when the pump isn't running.

snj2k2se said:
Thought I was on the wrong forum when I saw that avatar. There's no stoves here.

Well you gotta have some way to cool off after a long day slaving over the chainsaw and splitter... :cool:

I had the same problem with my weir, I attached a short piece of plastic using a stainless screw to the top of the flap to prevent it from closing all the way. It still skims fine, and doesn't let all the bugs float back out when the pump isn't running.

That sounds like an excellent idea - more reversible than my thought of trimming the door down... Any particular sort of plastic, or just something like I might trim out of a heavy plastic jug?

Gooserider

That's exactly what I did. I used the dremel and cut out a small rectangle out of an old Tri-Clor bucket lid.
About 1" by 3". It sticks up just far enough to hit the top of the skimmer before the weir closes all the way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.