Feces in the pool - unknown source, probably racoon

Apr 27, 2017
Miami FL
I woke up today to this: feces in my beautiful blue water. Way to close 2017 :thumbdown:.

Don't know the source. I can only speculate raccoon as we have many, many, in the area. First time this happens since I live in this home in little longer than 2 years.

Gross alert :!:, skip this line if preferred... :!: seems solid matter but it started to disintegrate into smaller pieces and it's kind of all over half the pool. I'm guessing it's been there overnight and also it rained for a bit which probably made things worse.

Next steps? Take it to shock level and keep it there for a while? how long? Full SLAM?
What about if it is raccoon, do I need to do something additional?
Filter? need to clean differently?

I have a Taylor kit and will run full battery of tests before dumping chlorine.

Thnx,

Results from last Sunday are as follows:
FC 4.0 (this is outdated obviously, I daily chlorinate with liquid chlorine to a 5.0 ~ 6.0 target)
CC 0 (been at 0 almost 10 month since my green episode of April 2017 thnx to this forum..)
pH 7.4
TA 50 (need to keep it this low to manage stable pH around 7.8)
CH 300
CYA 30 (this was about two months ago)

You got it right - increase FC to shock level for the day and you should be fine. There are rare cases where an animal stool with diarrhea may warrant other precautions as noted in the threads I've attached below, but in almost all cases of fecal accidents, remove what you can and shock the rest for a day and you should be good. You might receive another input from our resident scientist to confirm, but shock is certainly the way to go.

Take care!
Fecal Accident
Dog pooped in pool, Any special precautions?

Thnx for the quick reply.
This happened - allegedly - last night and unfortunately today had to head to work before could react properly (have to pay for the pool somehow). I wont be able to work on it with daylight until tomorrow morning.
Original plan is still good enough after 24~30 ish hours have elapsed?

It is fine to take it to SLAM level as soon as you get home. Leave the pump running overnight. This will be a win as the FC will only be working on the poop without any sun to worry about. Retest in the morning to see what happened overnight. If you lost a lot FC then do a SLAM until you can hold FC overnight. I don't think you will need to do this but wanted to put it out there just in case.

We had a duck poop problem.............did the same thing as you said and it was fine.

Kim:kim:

If there was a residual amount of matter still in the water (probably broken down by now) that you were not able to remove because of your schedule, you might consider keeping the pool at the appropriate SLAM/Shock level for a couple days to be safe. Since you appear to have a single cartridge filter, consider giving that a good rinse as well.

You could go full "Caddy Shack" on it and drain the pool completely.

Kidding of course.

Bill-Murray-Caddyshack-Baby-Ruth.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.