Intex skimmer help

Jul 9, 2009
Iowa
I have right now an intex 18x48" easy set. As normal the stock pump and filter went to s%#t. I got an older model intex 520 filter pump. The skimmer is set correct and always stays in the water never out of water. My problem is after a while like 3-4 hours I can go to the filter canister and blead so air out. Now have an 1hp power flow hooked up to the filter and it still does the some thing. Any ideas? Also is there something I could put in the pump filter to help out the cartrage filter. Looking for a sand filter to go with the pump so someday will have a real filter.

Well you're sucking air into the system and there's not many ways to do it. Most likely is that there is an air leak on the intake hose somewhere and would be my guess. Other than that you do seem to introduce some air into the system when you hook up the vacuum hose. Even if I carefully dunk the hose in I can still see little bubbles of air in the clear top of the vacuum canister. They never totally go away and seem to swirl around in there. Maybe they're finding their way back to the pump later.

Good Luck!

Not sure if there's much you can do about it other than change to a different, correctly sized filter. Either a sand filter, D.E. filter, or large cart filter. I have a 1HP Hayward Power-Flo LX pump and sand filter on my 18'x42" pool and I have no air in me pump basket with just the normal return, but as soon as I hook up the skimmer I get a constant bit of bubbles in the pump basket.

I KNOW I have no leaks in my plumbing. The air has to be coming in with the water from the skimmer. If you ever watch in your skimmer you'll notice the water is turbulant and has bubbles in it. I think some of these bubbles get sucked in and make their way to the pump and filter. Not much you can do beside not using the skimmer. My sand filter doesn't let the air build up, it just goes right through and comes out the return.

Adam

Yeah I ran no skimmer for a while and no air at all. But got my parts for the skimmer holder and put back on now getting air again. I guess will just have to deal with it untill I get a sand filter.

Is there anything to put in the pump basket to catch the smaller stuff?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.