Still Green

Jun 26, 2009
San Jose, CA
Hi all,

I'm in the middle of the shock process this evening and just wanted to know when I might see the color of the water changing from green? Here are the current numbers..

FC 7.5 (working my way to 13)
CC .5
pH 7.8
CYA 30
TA 120

Thanks, S

Don't 'work your way to 13'... use Jason's Calculator and add enough bleach to get you to your shock level all at once! If your water is green, it will use up the chlorine quickly. Test frequently and use the calculator to boost the FC back up to your shock level.

Think of it this way... you don't 'shock' a person by gradually coming up to them... neither should you shock your pool by gradually raising the FC.

Okay, first of all 30 to 60 minutes is a lot of time for algae to gobble up chlorine, belch and laugh at you.

You are posting that your pool is "still green" as "you work your way up to shock level". Algae is not something you coax away. You have been advised to dose your pool adequately to begin with.

Step 1. Start your pump and Dose your pool to shock level now.
Step 2. 30 minutes to an hour later, it could still have been consumed some by algae, so dose it again to bring it back to shock level or above.
Step 3. Repeat step 2 until you don't see it losing to below shock level within an hour. Then change the testing time to 2 to 4 hours and repeat bringing to shock level in your dosage. Keeping pump running all the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.