Dang, my Pebble Sheen is rough!

KurtinTUS

Silver Supporter
Jul 20, 2017
Tucson
We're just finishing up a new-build and the water has been in for about four days now. Really happy with the end result, but does anyone have any suggestions for trying to smooth out our pebble sheen a bit more? I've been scrubbing and scrubbing (wall whale and other nylon brushes), but it doesn't seem to be helping much at all. Can I use anything more abrasive than nylon bristles at this early stage....like maybe a stainless brush? Thanks for any suggestions!

Wishing I just went with plaster right about now....:(

IMG_0177.jpg

Kurt- i'm not sure about smoothing it out some but I *do know* that you should *not* use a steel brush on it at this time. It is too soft still and curing.

Talk to your Pool Builder and see if he has any ideas or input on your concern.

Maddie :flower:

We polish all the pebble finishes with diamond disks mounted on weed eaters for that exact reason...they are always rough.

Brian,

Do you just do the floor or the whole pool?

How long does it normally take?

Are there disks made for this, or do have to use some type of adapter for the weed-eater?

Sounds like a great idea!!! We got the "smooth" version of pebble and it still feels like 80 grit sandpaper... :(

Thanks,

Jim R.

The disks are made to polish concrete, not necessarily plaster and cost about $600 each :shock: I'm sure there is some sort of attachment but I rigged up a mount that also feeds water to the disk.

The floor and spa get most of the attention but the whole pool gets hit

The disks are made to polish concrete, not necessarily plaster and cost about $600 each :shock: I'm sure there is some sort of attachment but I rigged up a mount that also feeds water to the disk.

The floor and spa get most of the attention but the whole pool gets hit

Brian,

There you go making me feel inadequate..... again!!.. :bowdown:

Sounds to me like you have too much money and engineering invested in your pool building equipment to just give it up... :p

Thanks for the feedback,

Jim R.

Ours was refinished last May and is getting a little smoother with time. I wish we had stuck with plaster also as we went with the Stonescapes mini pebble and were told it would smooth out with brushing. Brushed the h out of it the first couple months and the contractor gave us no other options. I think it is getting smoother but kind of hard to tell as it's winter and we haven't been in it for a couple months. Good luck, let us know what you come up with, I would also be interested as I did not get any good suggestions on what to do either.

A pebble finish will never get another with time because the plaster is microscopically degrading and pebbles will work their way loose. The only way to smooth it out is to polish it or not remove the cream from the beginning.

This is exactly why I found AquaBright... Plaster mottles, pebble is rough and discolors. If only it wasn't so expensive...

- - - Updated - - -

Brian,

There you go making me feel inadequate..... again!!.. :bowdown:

Sounds to me like you have too much money and engineering invested in your pool building equipment to just give it up... :p

Thanks for the feedback,

Jim R.

As long as I can keep you in your place!

I honestly thought you were joking when I read that post about the weed whacker.....pictures or it’s not real!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I honestly thought you were joking when I read that post about the weed whacker.....pictures or it’s not real!!

You got it...I try not to do much pebble though. Hard to justify that AquaBright rig :fro:

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't my setup but it is similar. Looks like they're using a pressure washer?

polishing a pool finish - YouTube

Polishing pebble really isn't anything new. CLI, Wet Edge and SGM offer polished agrregate surfaces but some of them actually make AquaBright look affordable.

I belive starting around $1,500. We have had ours for many years very durable. They used to have one for floors that had three heads on it think that model was around $3,500.

Doesn't seem too bad for what it does. I've only seen guys using the handhelds for polishing so I thought I was on top of my game with the weed wackers :crazy:.........guess not!

That would be a great Christmas gift for me just in case you were having trouble finding something

Same set up as hand held only difference is the fitting with the trigger is replaced by a 45°. The 45° connects to the pressure washer tip instead of a regular tip.

I meant the poor man's handheld.... the old 7" angle grinder and a Hudson sprayer. Sore back not included

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.