LMI chemical pump question

It seems that nobody uses LMI Chemical pumps due to the price. I went ahead and purchased this pump on craigslist locally for $100. They seem to be solid pumps with less maint and wearable parts than usual peristaltic pumps. This uses some sort of rotary disc with a solenoid and diaphragm should be replaced once a year.Let me know if any reason we are not using these pumps instead of Stenners besides the fact that they are more expensive. I have been using a Amazon pump that costs $13.00 and has been incredibly accurate and dependable so far, but just could not pass up this oppty to upgrade. The Amazon pump I have been using ishttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VHYO9F0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 if anybody is interested. I figured even if I have to replace these every 4 or 5 months they would still end up being cheaper than a Stenner.

They look like the chemical pumps that are used in the oil field around here, the ones I've seen are yellow, and some blue, but both with two adjustment knobs, one for stroke and one for speed.

If they are the same or operate the same they are some skookum pumps as we use them all day everyday out in the open. A failed pump could cause around a $5000 failure to the well, if the pumper who checks the well daily doesn't check the pump, which happens a lot.

These pumps need the chemical above the pump, and it would be wise to install the line pressure bleeder as sometimes they suck air and cause it not to pump.

I use the Yellow LMI pumps at work for feeding corrosion inhibitor into our Cooling Tower piping system. We do zero maintenance on the thing and it simply works. There is a way to prime the pump by pulling out a black knob while it's running. Not sure what they cost but my impression is it's a solid design.

Thanks for the info, mine is the yellow p series pump. Primed it yesterday by sucking on the outlet and once I got prime it seemed to self prime after that. It fell a couple feet after vibrating off my kitchen counter and regained its own prime after that. It also regained its own prime after after running a gallon jug dry while experimenting with it yesterday. It seems that it will pump almost a full gal in an hour at full speed even though there is a tag on the pump rating it at .21 gph, so I thought it might be a little slow. Also it seems to want the the chemical fed through a wet system of introduction, but will arrange to accommodate that .Curios about that line feeder though and what that does and what to use? Where would I get one if needed?

This pump did not come with the output 4 or 3 way bleed off valves or the intake or foot, where would I acquire these? It seems to function with a check valve to 3/8 poly line on the intake and on the output. Is their something I am missing here, I haven't installed on the pool yet, just been bench experimenting. It doesn't seem like Amazon has too much to offer for these pumps.

Thanks, good to know. As far as the tee is concerned, would I tee off my main output and put a shut off valve on both, and then open one or both to prime and does one line go back into the chlorine or open atmosphere, and the other of course goes to pool. Sorry ex mechanic here and a visual learner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've been reading this thread and haven't posted because the advice given has been spot on.

The only thing I'd do is instead of running the bypass line to the ground, I'd run it back into the drum. Since bleach tends to gas off, and the diaphragm design pumps tends to exacerbate that problem in some installations, it's good to have a way to bleed some from the discharge.

I did not get the injection fitting with mine as I purchased it from craigslist. Will it work with the Stenner 3/8 injection fitting plumbed after the heater? I tried plumbing it directly to the suction side of the pool pump and seemed to work o.k. but when the pump turned off air was sucked into system, so that will not work. The LMI pump allows for flow through the pump when shut off as apposed to a peristaltic that pinches itself off and not allowing flow back through the pump. This may be why these pumps are not used for this purpose unless an injection fitting plumbed into a different location would work? Any ideas are appreciated, Thanks.

Needs to be plumbed into the pressure side as you are pumping chemical into your pump, bad idea.

Just pick up a check and put it on the pressure side.

These pumps are more of a industrial pump, it's kinda Overkill for a pool, but I'm getting one as well next year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.