How to change over to hard PVC plumbing on Above Ground Pool

Jul 31, 2009
Illinois
HI, I have a 24' above ground round pool with a Waterco 165# Sand Filter and a 2HP pump. This season I had my hose from pump to filter crack and leak. I bought a replacement from my local pool supply store and replaced it. This was about 1 1/2 mos ago. Ever since this I have had my hose blowing off of both the pump fitting or the filter fitting every couple days. I've replaced all of my clamps and I even tightened them down with a rachet! I've now got 2 clamps per end on this pump to filter hose and I just can't seem to get past this problem. I'm ready for hard plumbing! I've bought some 1 1/2" PVC pipe and a couple 90 degree and 45 degree elbows along with rubber unions. I'm ready to build :) All I need now is the how to instructions. Thank you to anyone who post pictures and details to how to get this done.
Bridget

Hard pvc can be a pain to plumb since there usually isn't much room for error, I prefer gluing flexible pvc as it offers some room for error and also has less overhead since there are no elbows typically.

When plumbing here are some tips

• Measure twice cut once :)
    compensate for the depth of fittings, like elbows etc.
    apply glue to both fitting and pvc pipe and work quickly
    when inserting a fitting push firmly and twist into position
    you might want to put down a drop cloth to catch drips of glue
    when screwing fittings into the motor or filter use teflon tape and a liquid thread sealent if possible
    tighten screw fittings to hand tight and then use a wrench to tighten another 1/2 turn or so

Kevin gave you very good basic advice on using pvc be SURE that the pipe and fittings you get are schedule 40!!

Depth for most sch 40 fittings is 1 1/4" so add 2.5" to any measurements between fittings :cool:

Also, have a rag handy to wipe the connections after gluing them- it'll make the install look more professional :wink:

Read the instructions on the cans of primer and glue for proper use and cure time :hammer:

Do it once and do it right :goodjob: - If you have any questions on the change-out simply ask and we'll set you staight :-D

Okay, so this isn't going well at all! I bought the plastic unions like advised but The pump and filter system I have is from Waterco and originally we had to glue in the nipple fitting that the hose slides on. It glued to a black piece with a rim and then a big plastic nut screws over it onto the pump and onto the filter head. I thought the plastic union I bought was going to glue one end into the pump and I'd be set. Now looking at it and realizing that a. it doesn't fit into the whole on the pump at all, b. there wouldn't be anything to secure with the original nut if I just glue in a piece of my PVC pipe and then run from there and c. I'm now standing over a pump which I have no way to reassemble because stupid me tried to beat the original nipple out of the fitting to reuse it (I kinda knew I would break it but did it anyhow, lol). So to make a long story short I NEED A PICTURE PLEASE!

Thanks for your help in this totally frustrating time :)

Reactions: RaginCajun63
So here's what my husband and I have planned to try with the pump. We got a bunch of different fittings from Farm & Fleet. Since nothing on our pump is threaded, that made it hard to find things. Waterco is not a readily available brand around here so we're on our own. We're removing the factory supplied unions from both the top of the pump and the filter head ( the nipple fittings are glued in so there is no saving them). We are using PVC connectors and going to glue them into the pump and the filter head in place of these unions that were there. This will get us up out of the pump and into the filter head. We're just going to measure and build the piping from point a to point b as needed out of 1 1/2" PVC and elbows and glue it all. We've got the plastic unions and also the rubber ones and we'll probably use the plastic ones as advised earlier on in these posts. I will be crossing my fingers that all holds but with the strength of the glue on the original parts (we did try to save the unions) there is no way I can see the glue not holding up for this plan. Once I get it going and see that it indeed will work, I will take a picture for the next person like me :)

Re: How to change over to hard PVC plumbing on Above Ground

I just did mine 24x52x16 rectangular and it was a challenge, the parts are not easy to find but I finally got it finished.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.