Wedding cake II steps (is there enough circulation?)

gonefishin

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
Joliet, Il.
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi all. I was looking at the wedding cake II steps and wondered if there is enough circulation going behind the steps to keep algae growth to a minimum. I've read that opinions said the original wedding cake steps didn't have enough circulation for some, but wondered if they have redesigned that at all with their new (II) model?

thanks,
dan

I hunted down some images of the WC II design. Looks like they took the ideas from some of us on the various forums and cut a few extra holes in the sides of the steps. Heck, we should patent some of the terrific ideas we bring together here!

Many of us who have the Wedding Cake steps have cut 2" holes into the sides in various places. I've had no problem with algae behind the steps. They sit a good 2-3" away from the pool wall and there appears to be plenty of circulation. When I add bleach I always pour a little on one side or the other and then swish it back there with a brush.

I do have some algae inside the front step where the weights are. Not much, but it is there. We move the steps once a month, remove the weights, and brush visible algae spots while the steps are in the water. My husband loves the whole snorkel-and-goggles thing :)

Anna

Thanks for the reply Anna. The "II" design does look like it's incorporated a number of good ideas into the design. I'll have to give it some thought if I want to replace my current steps. Now that we have a deck entry instead of an outside ladder entry, it looks like the wedding cake steps may work out better.

thanks,
dan

PVC tubes filled with sand and capped. Three placed in the cubby hole under the bottom step and three suspended inside from the top step. Here are some photos.

I wanted to add something to the question about circulation. We bought a Wall Whale brush earlier this season, a nice tool which keeps the brush firmly on the bottom or sides rather than it drifting up. It produces a lot of water movement when you push it across the bottom of the pool and I often use it to mix in a bleach addition when the pump isn't running.

I also use it to push water against the steps on both sides and the front. This method has done an excellent job circulating freshly bleached water behind the steps and has virtually eliminated algae growth. We had one tiny spot inside the bottom step this year, that's it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.