Scale Deposits at Waterline

hillyjd

Sep 25, 2009
Tucson AZ
I have had a terrible time with calcium buildup on my pool ever since it was built (14 years ago). Water where we live is VERY hard. Had a guy come out a few months ago who did a decent job using kieserite (for $500). Three months later, it's as bad as ever and I call the guy back and he says it's my water and I should drain the pool and then he'll come out and blast it again (for another $500). So I take a sample to a local pool place and they tell me the same thing because my TDS is "off the scale". They also tell me I should be keeping my TA level at 120 (I've been keeping it about 80). Of course I run everything by this forum, and the unanimous consensus is that TDS is a worthless measure. My water looks great, chemistry is decent (pH = 7.8, FC = 3.5, TA = 80), CYA = 40. Using the pool calculator, I get a CSI about -.3. Pool has not been drained in at least 5 years, but it sure seems to be an extreme step that I'm reluctant to take. Do I just have the blaster guy come back out and do a better job keeping my Ph lower and my TA higher?

Re: Scale Deposits at Waterline

What is your CH?
If you are having scale buildup that cannot occur at a CSI of -0.3. Are you testing your water regularly?

How are you testing your water?

Re:  Scale Deposits at Waterline

CH = 270. I test the water once a week in the winter. Twice a week in the summer. I'm using the Taylor K-2006 test kit. I just bought a new one in April. My numbers align pretty well with the pool company test. But I will admit I let the pH sit around 7.8 - 8.0 most of the time. I think I need to be more aggressive with acid and keep it lower. I usually add acid and baking soda at the same time to try and keep the TA reasonable.

Do I just have the blaster guy come back out and do a better job keeping my Ph lower and my TA higher?
Increasing the TA would simply be counterproductive as it would encourage the pH to rise faster. From your initial post, I think you understand the concepts. You're right about the TDS, and the pool store will almost always give you their "industry standard" replies about levels. Now it's just a matter of trusting your own testing. I will say though, it's incredible that your CH is so low (270) in that area. Most AZ's struggle to keep it below 700-800. Can you confirm please which test kit you are using? Perhaps add it to your signature as well. :wink: Also, are you using the speedstir to mix the solutions for your CH tests? Some of these questions may be valuable later in the discussion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.