Pool Cover in Washington State

uwsublime

Oct 16, 2017
Seattle, WA
Hello, new pool owner here. More details can be found at: New Pool Owner in Washington State

My solar panels are having issues and my gas heating bill was off the charts for the late summer season. I need a pool cover that will help insulate and keep from losing heat during the night. I would also love it if this same pool cover was adequate to cover for the entire winter. Since I will be covering and uncovering daily during the summer, some kind of automated reeling, or at least something that can be done quickly and easily by one person will be required. My pool is pretty close to rectangular and measures approximately 34' x 16' (18' at the points), but the long edges veer out slightly to a point. I am willing to spend some money to get something nice, but I can't completely break the bank. Any recommendations for this climate? Thank you!

Brian

This is a tough one. I don't think you'll find your desired cover, meaning one to use all year. Just to clarify, do you close your pool for the winter, meaning blow out the lines and install a spring-loaded safety cover or a tarp and water bags?

For the summer, what you need is the cheapest bubble cover you can find. They only last a few years anyway regardless of thickness. Those and really any cover, don't insulate much if any, but rather stop evaporation, which is your goal. You can certainly get a reel to roll one up on, but they are a) not attractive, and b) troublesome if your pool is not a rectangle. You mention its close to rectangular but a picture is worth a thousand words for getting better advice.

The only cover that can be used as a winter and summer cover (with caveats), which can be installed after the fact is an autocover which is deck mounted, meaning inside of deck box and with deck-mounted tracks. That will break your bank though I'm pretty sure. See here...

Deck-mounted autocover.JPG

I too have a similar shape but it's oval. It's more wide on the shallow end.
It does make it a little more difficult to reel it in, but not by much.

The cheapest solution will be to find on amazon or ebay a 5 mil bubble cover
and also a take up reel. The bubble cover you buy should be one that is
slightly bigger then your width and length so you can trim it to fit.

I have no problem reeling in the cover on the setup I have by myself.

Or you can go the more expensive route and get a fully automated one.

Thanks for the replies, I will try to find some pictures, but not sure I have any and currently it's covered by an ugly tarp... This year I am using the tarp and water buckets because that's all I had available to me. We did not blow out the lines, but instead left the computer on it's 'anti freeze' routine which circulates the water any time the temp is below 37F. I do NOT like using a tarp for this. Is that really what most people in Washington state are doing? Are there any reliably, long-lasting options in the auto-cover world? What is the ballpark for price on those? If a bubble cover is only going to last a couple years, is it even going to save me money over just throwing more gas at it?

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the best picture I could find:

pool.jpg

oh ya a bubble cover will most definitely cut down on heat loss and evaporation in a huge way
during the swimming months. I'm in Oregon. This past summer we had no rain
from June until September and I barely had to use the heater to maintain 84 degrees
in August. It was bubble covered all day on weekdays until 6pm then covered
again when the sun went down.

I keep my pool open year round, but the last week of november I drain down
to the lowest skimmer level (just when the pump begins to gobble air) and
maintain that level after raining by using a small sump pump in the skimmer
to drain down.

I also completely drain the heater, pump and sand filter where they
stay empty until mid-late february. I put an empty 1/2 gallon plastic milk
jug filled with some rocks in the skimmer to prevent freeze damage.

I lost a heat exchanger in the heater due to freeze damage from
last year's winter storms so I drain the equipment every winter now.

I don't cover the pool at all from late october to march.

Thanks for the replies. Are there any brands/models of bubble cover that are considered better than others? Anything to watch out for in buying them? Any sources that might have good prices on them? I appreciate all of the guidance!

Brian

General consensus is to buy the cheapest version. None of them last longer than 2 or 3 seasons. Warranties are useless.

Search for sellers. Lots of them out there.

You can get a roller for it if you have the room or there are some innovative rollers explained in threads here. Search the forum for pool cover rollers.

Take care.

Ebay used to be the cheapest but now Amazon is too.

don't get anything thicker than 5 mil. It's easier to move around and
will last just as long as the thicker ones.

A clear one might allow more sun in to keep it warm, but will
also allow uv through to consume chlorine.

For this reason I always go for a blue one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.