Having trouble with pump and vacuum

Dec 13, 2017
Las Vegas
New to this forum.. I'm having some issues with my pump and vacuum. I'm still learning how everything works. I have a Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter, with an Intelliflo 2 VST variable speed pump. I've got an 8k inground pool with a built in vacuum system. I've been using 3000RPM for cleaning, the highest it goes. However, it's not getting all the debri. Dirt tends to just congregate in certain areas instead of being sucked up. I had been using a manual pool vac for a bit to get that, but I just got a hose and vacuum head. I went to use it, but am not getting suction when I put it in the skimmer. There also doesn't seem to be hardly any suction from my skimmer. I don't remember whether I'm supposed to adjust a knob on my filter to make suction come from there. I'm getting pretty frustrated and would appreciate a point in the right direction. Thanks so much!

Welcome to the forum!

Let me understand what you posted - you are running your pump at 3000 rpm, but do not have suction at the skimmer? I assume there is water getting to the pump? If so, it must be coming from another source. Do you have multiple lines with valves on your suction side?

A picture of your equipment pad would be helpful.

I would also suggest digging into Pool School. Lots of reading and information for those new to a pool.

Could you fill out a signature? See Pool School - Getting Started

Take care.

fm,

Welcome to TFP... A great resource for all those pool owners living in Lost Wages... :shark:

I doubt you can run your 3 HP pump while trying to draw all your water through a vacuum hose. At least not a 3000 rpm. It would be like breathing through a straw... :p

As Marty points out, a picture of your equipment pad showing all the valves coming into your pump would really help.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

IMG_0729.jpgIMG_0727.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

PSI is around 28-30. I last cleaned the filter cartridges in early October.

- - - Updated - - -

When I put my hand over where i'd put the vacuum pump in the skimmer, I don't feel any suction. The pump is flowing and working, but just leaving debris and dirt all over instead of a full clean, as it used to do when I only had an old single speed pump. Do I need to adjust one of those knobs on the pump?

fm,

Ok, just to make sure we are all on the same page...

When your filter pressure is at 28-30 the pump is running at 3000 rpm.. is this correct?

Do you have a Spa? It looks like you have automated Intake and Return valves, so I assume yes... is this correct?

I do not see any pipes or pumps for an in-floor cleaner system. Do you have an in-floor system? If not what type of cleaner system do you have?

There are two holes in the bottom of your skimmer... Are they both open, or is one of them plugged?

The more you tell us the better we can answer..

Thanks,

Jim R.

My guess at this point is that the manual valve in the middle of your picture allows you to select between the skimmer and a vacuum port that is always connected to your suction side cleaner. In the current position most of the input water is coming from the vacuum and just a little from the skimmer. When you connect an additional vacuum line to the skimmer, it is easier for the pump to suck water through the suction side cleaner port.

If you are going to use the manual vacuum, you need to shut off the suction side cleaner port.

Now, I could be all wet about this, but with the info we currently have it is the only thing that makes sense.

More info will get a better answer.

Jim R.

So should I turn that one way over to the left to get more flow to the skimmer? and do I only adjust that while the pump is off or on? Also, would that improve the ability of the pump to suck up the dirt particles its not getting? Thanks for your help :)

I suggest you clean the filter and then report your psi and subsequent flow. 28-30 is way too high and indicates your filter is clogged or there is another form of blockage on the pressure side.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
fm,

Ok, just to make sure we are all on the same page...

When your filter pressure is at 28-30 the pump is running at 3000 rpm.. is this correct?

Do you have a Spa? It looks like you have automated Intake and Return valves, so I assume yes... is this correct?

I do not see any pipes or pumps for an in-floor cleaner system. Do you have an in-floor system? If not what type of cleaner system do you have?

There are two holes in the bottom of your skimmer... Are they both open, or is one of them plugged?

The more you tell us the better we can answer..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes 28-30 at 3000 RPM. I have a Spa, there is an in floor system, the pipes are out closer to the pool. one hole in the skimmer appears to be plugged.

fm,

In your pictures, I can see no place to turn on/off any in-floor system... :confused:

Does your in-floor system have its own pump?

How do you turn it on?

With the pump running at 3K, a pressure of 28 to 30 is a high, but not all that much for the size of the pump... I would still clean the filter as Dave has recommended.

Since one of the holes in the skimmer is plugged, then I have to assume that the center valve selects between the Main Drain and Skimmer. I would try running your vacuum with the center valve in different positions and see what happens. I would first try all the way one way and then all the way the other way..

Thanks,

Jim R.

IMG_0732.jpgHere are some more pipes. Not quite sure what they do to be honest. I just cleaned the cartridges in the filter, and it still reads 28ish PSI at 3000 RPM. It's always read around there when I had a single speed pump, and then again with my variable speed at full power. The center valve does divert suction to the skimmer. It was set mostly to the main drain, and now I've set it mostly to the skimmer. Should that improve the cleaning ability? I think the in floor system is not separate from the pump/filter. I'm letting it clean now to see if it sucks up all the loose dirt, but if it doesn't, are there any suggestions as to whether another blockage problem might exist?

fm,

I've sent out the "Bat Signal" asking for help from some of our experts that know more about in-floor systems.. Let's see if we can get one of them to chime in.. It may take a day or two this time of year...

Do you have any idea what valve by the in-floor piping does when you turn it???

The more suction you have at the skimmer the better your manual vacuum will work...

Do you have regular "eyeballs" in your pool walls or does all the return water have to pass through your in-floor system?

Thanks,

Jim R.

I think your confused about the infloor system. It runs off of pressure not vacuum. I believe the three way valve in front of the control module diverts water either to the infloor system or to the top returns. The gray valve next to the module is a check valve that is feeding the spa floor heads

flanmann, I have a couple very simple thoughts to pass along/confirm, maybe it will help. Before I do, please take a moment to update your signature with all of your pool & equipment info. You can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later.

As for the equipment (as I see it), I see (as Jim noted) automated valves for spa intake/return. Not much to say about those. The manual valve does appear to simply dictate if water gets pulled from the pool's skimmer or main drain. If you want to manually vacuum, it makes sense to turn the valve so that maximum suction is pulled from the skimmer where you will connect your vacuum hose. Now on the other (pressure) side, you seem to have the option of blowing return water to the pool's return jets or in-floor cleaning jets. My experience in floor cleaning is limited, but it does appear that you should be able to turn that cleaning valve one way or the other to dictate how much water goes to the cleaning system versus just the pool's return jets. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with how the cleaning canister (with gauge) functions in your set-up. Have you inspected that by chance?

As for the pressure concerns, I would think that if you simply had water being pulled from the skimmer or main drain (not vacuuming), and were by-passing the cleaning system, that you should have a normal/baseline filter pressure for your Clean & Clear Plus. But only by manipulating those valves will you know for sure. One last thought, ..... when you turn the system off, does the gauge go to zero? It would stink if after all of this research you learned you simply have a bad pressure gauge (stuck). It happens often. So, that's my 2 cents. Curious to see if you make any progress. Let us know.

fm,

Let's run a quick test to see if the in-floor system is basically working ok, and that we can turn it on/off...

When the in-floor system is on, the heads in the bottom surface of the pool, pop up and a jet of water streams out trying to force all the dirt to move. Not all the heads work at the same time, but they all come on in sequence, until they all have worked.. When the in-floor system is working, the normal returns (or eyeballs), near the surface of your pool walls, have little to no water coming out.. Is this how your system is working?

If I understand you correctly, the handle of the three way valve, out by the in-floor system, is currently pointed toward the brick wall. And, in this position the in-floor system works.. ... Is this correct???

If so, let's move the handle 180 degrees, so that in points directly away from the wall... In this position, we "assume" that the in-floor system will be off, that the in-floor pressure gauge will drop to zero, and that the wall returns (eyeballs) will have a strong water flow...

Please let us know what you find when you run these tests...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.