confused about algae / c.c. test

man, things were going so good i thought i was done bugging you guys & gals this summer. my pool was a green swamp when i opened. i fought with it long & hard with great advice from all you pool gurus and finally got the water clean & clear and have had no problems since early june. then a couple of weeks ago i started getting spots (yellow-geenish-gray) on the bottom, but only on the west end.
figured it was just dirty so i vacumed. a day later the spots were back. vacumed again, then went out of town for a couple of days. before i left i jacked the clorine level up to about 20 and left the pump on. when i got back the entire west side of my pool bottom was covered with this stuff. from what i've been reading on some other posts here it seems like it might be mustard algae.
what has me confused is my clorine level has been holding no problem and testing c.c. at 0 - i was under the impression that the c.c. test was to determine if the clorine was actively fighting something. how could i have been getting algae if the c.c. has been testing fine for over a month?
just to let you know what this stuff is - it's the stuff where if you swim down to the bottom and wave your hand at it it turns into a greenish cloud and goes away. i tried to get a sample to bring to the surface but it just turns into nothing. it's like it disappears. it is only on the west side of the pool (my return jet is on the south end, forcing the water in a northeasterly direction) so i figure it's settling to the bottom there before it has a chance to make it to the skimmer. i must be filtering some of it out, as the skimmer sock gets all gunked up with yellow goo after a couple of days.
i've been trying to vacume it, but it seems i'm stirring it up more than vacuming it out. when i try to vacume the water just turns all cloudy.
so i let it be for a day or 2 and the water clears up but when you look in there and you can see a nice clean blue bottom on the east side and this disgusting dark yellow bottom on the west side. so i try to vacume it up again, water clouds up, water clears, dark yellow Crud settles back to the west side. i've been doing this over & over for 2 weeks now. all the while, my clorine still reads fine, c.c. fine. what gives? do i need to go back to the "shock the heck out of it" phase where i'm going through 20 gallons of bleach a week?
i tell ya what, i'm about ready to put a sign in my yard that reads "free pool - you tear it down, it's yours"
any advice? i'm about out of "p.o.p.".
thanx alot...again.

It does sound like mustard/yellow algae to me from what you describe. There have been posts on here describing how to keep your pools FC at a Mustard Algae level to get rid of it and also how you don't have to have CC to have algae, there are alternatives;I personally use yellow treat for persistent algae like this.

I had a green algae outbreak a month or so ago; in three days of shocking, tested chlorine a dozen times, and never had CC over 0.5. An elevated CC tells you something is bad; a low CC does not tell you everything is good.

So yes you need to shock, and you've been letting it grow for a couple weeks so it might take a while to clear up.
--paulr

Hi, delfargo,
i've been doing this over & over for 2 weeks now. all the while, my clorine still reads fine, c.c. fine.
I think you'll find that you haven't been using adequate levels of chlorine. in adequate amounts, chlorine kills algae.....that is the truth.

I believe if you shock your pool according to the shock process found in Pool School and then maintain your chlorine according to the CYA/chlorine chart found in Pool School, you pool propblems will go away and you can enjoy the rest of the summer.

I agree with duraleigh. Be sure you know what you CYA level is and shock for mustard algae (just in case that is what it is as opposed to just regular algae). You shouldn't need to go through so much chlorine this time. Based on your post it sounds like you had a bad case of algae the first time which does require a lot more chlorine to clean up, but this time it should go much quicker and with less cost as long as you follow the proper shocking guidelines. Once gone, be sure to keep your pool at normal levels. Hang in there I know what your going through all too well.

delfargo said:
man, things were going so good i thought i was done bugging you guys & gals this summer. my pool was a green swamp when i opened. i fought with it long & hard with great advice from all you pool gurus and finally got the water clean & clear and have had no problems since early june. then a couple of weeks ago i started getting spots (yellow-geenish-gray) on the bottom, but only on the west end.
figured it was just dirty so i vacumed. a day later the spots were back. vacumed again, then went out of town for a couple of days. before i left i jacked the clorine level up to about 20 and left the pump on. when i got back the entire west side of my pool bottom was covered with this stuff. from what i've been reading on some other posts here it seems like it might be mustard algae.
what has me confused is my clorine level has been holding no problem and testing c.c. at 0 - i was under the impression that the c.c. test was to determine if the clorine was actively fighting something. how could i have been getting algae if the c.c. has been testing fine for over a month?
just to let you know what this stuff is - it's the stuff where if you swim down to the bottom and wave your hand at it it turns into a greenish cloud and goes away. i tried to get a sample to bring to the surface but it just turns into nothing. it's like it disappears. it is only on the west side of the pool (my return jet is on the south end, forcing the water in a northeasterly direction) so i figure it's settling to the bottom there before it has a chance to make it to the skimmer. i must be filtering some of it out, as the skimmer sock gets all gunked up with yellow goo after a couple of days.
i've been trying to vacume it, but it seems i'm stirring it up more than vacuming it out. when i try to vacume the water just turns all cloudy.
so i let it be for a day or 2 and the water clears up but when you look in there and you can see a nice clean blue bottom on the east side and this disgusting dark yellow bottom on the west side. so i try to vacume it up again, water clouds up, water clears, dark yellow **** settles back to the west side. i've been doing this over & over for 2 weeks now. all the while, my clorine still reads fine, c.c. fine. what gives? do i need to go back to the "shock the heck out of it" phase where i'm going through 20 gallons of bleach a week?
i tell ya what, i'm about ready to put a sign in my yard that reads "free pool - you tear it down, it's yours"
any advice? i'm about out of "p.o.p.".
thanx alot...again.
I could have written this post nearly word for word except the sock don't know what that is!!!! Location, direction of skimmer/return everything!
Then I looked at your location! We're probably neighbors!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
so, shock level for mustard algae is DIFFERENT than "regular" shock level? i've been trying to find what that would be. where on this site would i find such information?
haven't tested cya in several weeks, as i ran out of the solution for that test, but it had always tested right around 35, so i'm assuming that is still about where it is. thanx.

The Pool School Chlorine/CYA chart shows both regular and mustard shock levels.

You do not need to test often for CYA, as a rule it does not change unless you add some or lose a fair amount of water from backwashing, draining, leak, splashout, etc (evaporation won't affect it). Many people test just 2-3x per season once it's in the right place.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.