Drainage around pool

Jul 25, 2017
Morristown, TN
So I've finally got around to landscaping around my 27' pool that was installed in July of this year. Throughout the summer I was adding a great deal of water. Expected to find a leak over the winter but the water level has stayed perfect since covering for the winter. I didn't want to put anything against the pool if the liner was gonna have to be replaced but now I know for sure it's safe to move forward. 1-2 times a year we see standing water in our backyard. It has become a stream during continuous heavy rain. We explained this to the installer and he suggested a retaining wall and a French drain to ensure no water runs under or against the pool. My question is do I install this French drain setup right against the base of the pool? Or should I place it in a trench a little bit away from the pool? Thanks in advance!

If you can I wouldn't go closer than a foot from the wall of the pool with the drain. Be careful while digging you are going to run into the bonding wire while digging in that area. If you break the wire repair it with a split bolt connector.

I'm wondering if digging is necessary. When the pool was installed they basically dug out a bowl in my yard and placed my pool in the center of the bowl. I was thinking maybe just laying the drain pipe on top of the dirt opposed to digging a trench for it. Or will the French drain not do what it's intended to do without digging the trench. Thanks for your reply.

I'm wondering if digging is necessary. When the pool was installed they basically dug out a bowl in my yard and placed my pool in the center of the bowl. I was thinking maybe just laying the drain pipe on top of the dirt opposed to digging a trench for it. Or will the French drain not do what it's intended to do without digging the trench. Thanks for your reply.

If the water is already collecting round the pool simply laying a pipe on the surface of the dirt will do nothing to stop the water from collecting where it is. You need to give the water a way to run down hill and you either do that by digging a trench or building up the dirt to make a high spot.

My question is do I install this French drain setup right against the base of the pool? Or should I place it in a trench a little bit away from the pool? Thanks in advance!
A picture(s) would help a lot but a French drain should be installed at the lowest point around your pool. The idea is to get runoff (and underground water) to seek the lowest spot and then it enters the French drain and gravity takes it still lower and away from the area. Water in your yard will NEVER run uphill but will always seek the lowest spot........that's the idea of a french drain.

As Dave mentioned, please upload a picture so we can visually see where the water is accumulating. You can even create a French drain around the pool, re-route to another area or pit, and use decorative stone with fabric to make everything look appealing to the eye.

I'll try to upload some images of what I've got going on. I see what you mean about the drain needing to take the water away once it flows downhill to the drain. I've spent alot of time trying to figure out how to go about it and I've got a plan now just gotta do the work. And it's alot of work. Let me see if I can't resize these images and upload them. Thanks for all the help. Forums are awesome. They unite people with the same interests and problems. I don't know how we got by before we had places like this to turn to.

I don't have any good pictures showing the ground slope in towards the pool. I've been very busy working to get the water out and away from the pool. The flooding rains we seen only a few days after the pool was installed was scary seeing that water up against my new pool. Happened 1 time and won't happen again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Coldjustin:

You could draw something up on a sheet of paper, scan to jpeg and upload. If not, have one of your friends do this. The concept is very simple as you will need to dig a trench (not large), wrapped with fabric, stones, etc. You do not even need to pitch away from the pool as gravity will have water travel and push it self out. The remainder of the water will seep into the ground. All of this depends on how much water accumulates. If you are not comfortable with this, then calling a landscaper is your best bet.

I think I've got a plan. I'll give the ground a bit of slope away from the pool to a trench with the drain pipe wrapped in gravel. Then take the drain pipe and trench to an exit point on the edge of my property. What can I put on the pool wall to separate the dirt from the wall? I've heard of people using tar like what goes on roofs but is there a better product? Maybe in a spray can like spray paint?

What can I put on the pool wall to separate the dirt from the wall? I've heard of people using tar like what goes on roofs but is there a better product? Maybe in a spray can like spray paint?

Decorative stone around the pool You have a 27' round pool (I believe not oval). You can remove some dirt and go out either 1.5' or 2' all the way around and slope the soil away from the pool. Then add fabric and decorative stone. If you want to use black landscaping edging for a clean border, use a heat gun to bend and then the plastic spikes or other reinforcement methods to keep yours in place.

decorative stone around above ground pool images - Bing

But is it ok to put the stone and soil against the pool wall with nothing else on the pool wall? Will this cause the pool wall to rust over time? It's a mid grade pool. Not the cheapest sold but also not the most expensive. When I call the store I bought it from originally they told me I can't put anything like stone or soil against my pool wall. After speaking with the guy that installed the pool he says it's fine. So I'm kinda torn on whether to coat the wall or not. I have a retaining wall built 3 feet from the pool all the way around. Plan is to put the French drain against the retaining wall on the side of the wall that the pool is on. Coat the pool wall with something then put soil against that sloping toward the drain and the retaining wall. Then top the soil with fabric and stones. If I filled the entire area with stone it would cost a fortune.

It will corrode faster with soil against it. However it is debatable if it is 5% faster or 50% faster.

Obviously dry is better, but I had the same problem. Ultimately it is what it is. If it rots after 10 years instead of 20 it will suck, but ultimately a perfect scenario isn't possible. I am new so I don't have the experience, but that is my thought.

The correct answer is read the owners manual for the pool and find out if backfilling against or partially burying the pool is acceptable. It is generally spelled out in very plain language in the installation manual.

Depending on how much you need to slope the edge against the pool I would used washed masons sand against the pool topped with a layer of landscape fabric then a thin layer of crushed stone or rounded river rock to hold the fabric in place. Use a hand tamper to compact the sand into the tapered profile you are looking for.

When the installer built your pool this probably what they did to the inside of the pool wall to make the cove edge at the base of the wall. So in reality you already have the first 3-6inches of wall buried in sand on the inside of your pool. Will it make any difference to the life of the pool if you put some sand against the outside first few inches of wall... probably not but that's my opinion and I don't hold the warranty to your pool. You are only safe to do as the manufacturer recommends, anything beyond that is on you for liability.

Even with a deck over it I still fear water will run under the pool. My retaining wall and sloping the ground away should do what I need it to do. I've got some spray cans of rubberized undercoating used for the underside on cars and trucks. I'm gonna wipe down the pool wall and spray it on. Then use plastic that is double layered between the soil and the wall. Then slope the soil to the retaining wall with a French drain at the retaining wall. Then top that soil with river rock. 3/4" or bigger river rock to be exact. The smaller stuff will wash away when water is splashed out of the pool. I'm about 3/4 of the way around the pool with the retaining wall so the hardest part is almost done. The pool manual says backfilling is a no no. However the pool is where it is and the drainage problem isn't going away. So I guess I'll do what I can with what I have. I love the idea of washed mason sand against the pool wall. You make a valid point that I hadn't even thought about. There's already sand on the inside portion. I worry the sand would wash out though as even when compacted it's easily moved by water.

Is there a clear path the water is taking leading up to the pool (sounds like it from the original post). I think you may be creating more work than necessary. As mentioned the french drain is for water underground. This seems to be surface water and if it is you just need a channel drain. I put one in myself after installing a paver patio. I made a video and put on youtube. It's very easy and less expensive compared to a french drain and will work a lot better for surface water. Video: Install Channel Drain - YouTube

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.