First time pool owner

Hi all,

I've been a pool owner for about 4months now. The previous owner neglected the pool and I had to learn everything from scratch. I recently had the sand replaced in my filter. With help from friends and family with pools, I managed to get the pool clean and water is now crystal clear. I am however struggling to get rid of brown powerdery debrief at the bottom of the pool. I vacuum and then its gone, but tomorrow when I get home from work, its back again. Please help me get rid of this
:confused:

Hello Wayne! Welcome to TFP and forums :)

When folks find they have that brown "dust" that they can vacuum out and yet it reappears, it is often dead algae. Can you provide us with some chemistry numbers-
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

These numbers will help us diagnose your pool's problem.

How are you chlorinating your pool? What chemicals do you use and have used in the past??

Awaiting your reply-
Maddie :flower:

Hi Maddie,

To be very honest with you, I have no idea wgat my numbers are, my brother-in-law would test it for me and then just tell me what to add. Im currently using the hth clear 4 weeks thats all. How do I go about getting those numbers as my brother-in-law never showed me how.

Im totally clueless on this, but would like to learn how to do all this myself

Good plan on getting the test kit, Wayne! When you get one, aim for one that includes the FAS-DPD chlorine test if at all possible. That one is VERY important, yet cheaper test kits often don't include it.

The picture you posted is *after* brushing up the dust? Or the next day when the dust re-appeared?

Can you tell us what chemicals your brother-in-law has you add?

Oh that *is unfortunate*.... HTH Clear 4Weeks is comprised of Calcium, Zinc, Copper and Aluminum. Without knowing what your calcium level is and if you need any more of that or not, you certainly *do not need* zinc, copper or aluminum. These 4 things are all metals. Metals can stain pools, cause blond hair to turn green.

While copper does help avoid algae, it does nothing for bacteria and viruses. Person to person transmission of skin, gastric, eye infections can happen if there is no chlorine in the water.

Do you have access to household bleach (sodium hydrochlorite)? Do you put stabilizer in your pool? We really need a full set of test results from a good test kit, Wayne.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, to be honest, I am sort of concerned with the metals you have added via that HTH Clear 4 Weeks stuff. Do you have any pool stores there that can test (will test) for metals??

You might be best off draining and refilling that pool and starting fresh. Then using just chlorine bleach and stabilizer for the most part.

Try to find the test kit that contains the FAS-DPD chlorine test.... do you Amazon?? Ordering online might be one solution to find one of our preferred kits-Taylor 2006C

Pool School - Pool Chemistry

Let us know.

Good luck.

We advocate the pool owner handling the maintenance of the pool water chemistry as you are the only one that cares about the pool and you need to know the pool is sanitary for human use.

If you have any further issues we welcome you back.

Take care.