Persistent air lock and FLO error message

PaulUK

Dec 11, 2017
Coventry, UK
Hi guys,

Pump #1 circulation pump does not come on but shows FLO error on topside, so fails to heat up, 1st speed only as 2nd speed on Pump 1 has always worked when you press the button.

I have had this error for some time now (just got on with it), it’s a bit intermittent but more present in the last few weeks, some times the error is present day after day and sometimes not, filter is squeaky clean so it’s not blocked / dirty and all jets are open, water level high enough too I.e 3/4 way up Skimmer cover.

The Spa has three pumps, #1 circ 2 speeds but the 1st speed is linked to the automatic circulation / heater , #2 main blower and lounger 2 speeds #3 Deep seat 1 speed.

I have just spent the last few hours trying to pin point the issue, previously I thought it was a wet end pump issue but now I’m pretty sure it’s linked to a reoccurring ‘air lock’ issue instead as when it does come on (circ) it seems to constantly build up air in the filter compartment which makes Pump 1 fail to come on, I drain the air from the bleeder valve and it works again and so the cycle continues I.e. pump on for a while and more air builds up, I’ve gone through this cycle for ages today but more air seems to be generated, I have an engineer coming out in a week but don’t want the wool pulled over my eyes with expensive part replacements if not needed, I appreciate that that what needs to happen but would appreciate any ideas / advice please??? Thanks...

Welcome to the forum!

I do not have any suggestions on a spa but this will :bump: your question for others!

Can you be more specific on your location? In what state, country, province is Cov?

Take care.

It sounds like you have a small air leak on the suction side of the pump(s).
Is 1st speed of the circ pump hi or low?

I looked at a few manuals and didn't see a 'FLO' error listed in any of them. However I didn't find the manual for your exact year.

Where exactly are you seeing the air build up?

Hi, the circ pump #1’s 1st speed is low and what comes on automatically to heat the Spa, its 2nd speed on pump #1 is high which you have to turn on yourself, even when the low speed plays up its 2nd speed ALWAYS works fine.

the FLO error isn’t in my manual either but I do remember searching for it awhile ago when I first came across the error code.

the air builds up in the filter compartment, I guess it’s because it’s the highest point? And because there is air in it this stops the circ (pump1 1st speed/low) from coming on, so I have to release the air and it will come on again, but running this pump 1 circ seems to build up the air again and so on...

I appreciate all your time, thanks.

Last edited:
It certainly sounds like an air leak in the suction somewhere. It sounds like the air builds up enough on low speed to slow the flow through the pump so that the flow switch isn't tripped.

I assume that the filter canister is on the suction side of the pump, is that correct?
Which filter do you have?
Are you lubing the o-ring when you replace the cap?

Hi, Regarding which side it’s on, i’m not sure but I would say yes as it makes sense, i’m not 100% on that or how to confirm this I just assume that as it’s a Coast Spa (a decent make) and we’ve had it from new I guess so?
the filter is only a few months old and was decreased / filter bath not too long ago and is hosed down each week, it’s a Pleatco Advanced Plus, PRDC540-AFS dual core assembly.
the filter cap it quite tight to put on and off, I did enquire about getting a new seal / O-ring for it but the dealer said that if it’s tight then it’s going to create a good seal so don’t bother, so I left it as is I.e. no lube, should I lube it or were you just checking that I didn’t do this? Thanks...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi, new O-Ring fitted on Thursday, and lubed, still the same issues a few days on.

When I bought the O-Ring I spoke to the dealer and explained all the issues and they think it’s the capacitor that does this as it’s only on the low pressure function, they are due to come out on Monday so hopefully they will confirm what it is then and sort itfingers crossed, I’ll keep you guys posted, thanks...

Can you post a picture of the skimmer and the equipment area?

The pump should be below the water level, so a flooded suction. If air is getting in, it's likely a skimmer configuration problem.

Are you sure that the pump is running on low speed?

Maybe you have a clogged impeller if the pump ran without the cartridge in place.

Hi guys,

...Merry Christmas...

Thanks for all your responses and help, so the engineer came out and it was a faulty Capacitor that was the cause I.e. not completely broken so that’s were the intermittent issues came from, new capacitor fitted and problem solved.

The ‘airlock’ (or so called) which I thought was the problem, came from my description over the phone to the dealer and their diagnosis, so I guess I didn’t’t explain it properly and then from their feedback got too hung up on that when in fact that was normal operation.

Again, thanks for all your help, time and knowledge...

Cheers, Paul

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.