Check Valve in SPA suction line

rmklaw

Aug 27, 2009
Is it possible to install a check valve in the SPA suction pipe using an VS-SVRS pump? I am running the suction side valves 80% pool and 20% SPA, and approximately the same in the return side. I do it to avoid using the spillway feature except when I activate it for show. I have a check valve on the return SPA pipe.

The issue is when the system shuts down, the SPA drains to the pool approximately 6-8 inches. This is due to the suction SPA pipe not having a check valve and SPA draining to reach level (I verified this by completely closing the suction side and problem taken care). As a temporary fix, I programmed so the SPA suction side is close, but that causes a slow spillover which I don't want.

Is there a head or other water flow issues that I could cause if I install a check valve on the SPA return valve between the SPA and the Jandy (pool/spa) three way valve? Or is there another solution?

What I am trying to accomplish is circulate both pool and SPA simultaneously without using the spillover (to avoid aeration). Thanks.

Richard,

I was under the impression that the check valve for a raised spa was the return line going to the spa jets/eyeballs..

I'm not sure how a check valve on the drain would work? If you installed it so that you could still suck water from the spa, then it will allow water to drain from the spa. If you installed it the other way, you could never drain the water from the spa. :confused: Keep in mind that I don't have an in-ground spa, so I could be all wet.. :p

Most people with automation don't try to run the spa and pool at the same time. The automated Intake and Return valve are either supposed to be either on or off. I suggest you just schedule your Spillover to run for 30 minutes a couple of times a day... ('without heat of course).. Edit by Jim R.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

I also have the IntelliFlo SVRS... While it is a great pump the SVRS part sucks... I have to be very careful not to let my waterfall come on if the pool level gets on the low side as it causes the pump to go into a false entrapment mode and it will then just keep turning on/off. Sigh!!!

Thanks Jim. Good point you make. I thought that maybe the spring tension from a check valve on the SPA suction line would be enough to keep water from leaking back to the system when the pump was off. I do have a check valve on the return side, and verified that the draining comes from the suction side.

Is it enough to run the SPA a couple of times 30 minutes to maintain chemistry balance and also Chlorine? That is my main concern because of the new PebbleTec finish.

Richard,

Sorry, what I should have said is that you need to schedule your spillover to run for 30 minutes twice a day... Not sure what I was thinking. Just running your spa would not introduce any fresh water and depending on your SWCG set up it might not add enough chlorine.

Sorry for any confusion.. I will correct my original post.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Richard,

I would think so, especially this time of the year.

The only way to tell for sure would be to measure the FC in the Spa right after it ran for 30 minutes, and then again just before it is scheduled it to come on again. As long as the FC does not fall below your minimum, you should be good to go.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.