New contract / New build - SE Pennsylvania, Gunite free form pool and spa

I really like where the spa is now! It will not block the view of the waterfall or pool from the seating area. I would rotate where the step into the spa is though. I would have it right were would world walk up to the spa.

That skimmer on the shelf sends shivers up my Momma spine. The thought of someone sitting there and getting something (hair, clothing, etc) sucked into the skimmer is a possibility.

I do like the light placement. Do you have on IN the spa? I see one by the spa.

Kim:kim:

I really like where the spa is now! It will not block the view of the waterfall or pool from the seating area. I would rotate where the step into the spa is though. I would have it right were would world walk up to the spa.

That skimmer on the shelf sends shivers up my Momma spine. The thought of someone sitting there and getting something (hair, clothing, etc) sucked into the skimmer is a possibility.

I do like the light placement. Do you have on IN the spa? I see one by the spa.

Hey Kim - Good catches. I think the spa change was a quick/dirty rendering without paying attention to the step and light placement - the spa light is definitely included and will for sure rotate the step toward the house.

Skimmer in sunshelf - Hmm, hadn't thought about that one. Let me talk that one over with the PB. Anyone else have a skimmer in the shelf?

Will waterfall create a blind spot when watching the kids from the spa?

From where it's positioned I'd like to think not since the WF shouldn't be sticking out much, I'll also bring this up with the PB though.

Thanks guys! Lots of snow here at the moment but planning to talk to a landscaper for design soon as well. Also will start the permitting process in the next couple of weeks.

I will have to look for it but one pool has a skimmer right over a bench. They had to make a PVC "box" to keep people from sitting right in front of it. For them it is their only skimmer and the body would block the skimmer as well as the worry about the suction. Of course there is one way to keep that from happening.........don't run the pump to that skimmer when people are in the pool or don't run any of the pumps while people are in the pool.

Kim - With most of the pulls I've been in I've never really felt a strong 'pull' when standing by the skimmer. Is that typically a safety hazard?

Got a break in weather today and worked with the PB to spray out the pool/spa layout. Pics attached -we are currently about 20 feet or so from waters edge to the deck. We are thinking of shifting the pool 5 feet closer to the house so it's a bit easier to tie into the existing patio and surroundings. Thoughts? Keep in mind we will be limited to about 1000 sq feet of decking.

kqSlO1P.jpg

t1PcxK1.jpg

I will agree that there needs to be some type of “swim out” in the deep end. Even if it is just for the kids to climb out to the jump rock.

My other suggestion would be to widen the very first step into the pool. Ours is pretty small and we would have liked it wider. There is no room if someone sitting on the edge with just their feet in the pool, there is no room for someone to step out beside them. Just a couple of my thoughts.

Okay for the decking............put some oversized beach towels (They are "loungers") where the decking will be with the pool where it is. Then "re-draw" the pool with your water hose acting as the line and use the towels to show you how much room you will have for loungers or such in that area. Go from there. Make sure you put a walkway to the shed as well, like was talked about on the first page.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is the painted pool similar in placement to the diagram in post 20? I like that spacing where you have a wide "entry" to the pool. Having it a littler further away (so keeping it where it is) will make if feel more spacious I think. More breathing room from the house to pool even if it's not all deck area.

As an aside, the first thing that came to mind when looking at your pics was doing a wooden deck/porch the whole length of your shed, coming out to the pool/spa area from the back/side. Probably not needed but it would also be a nice tie-in between the the whole area. I always like to make sure the big picture is accounted for, in addition to the house/pool connection. It would create a great backdrop to your oasis. Necessary, probably not. Expensive, of course.

I will agree that there needs to be some type of “swim out” in the deep end. Even if it is just for the kids to climb out to the jump rock.

My other suggestion would be to widen the very first step into the pool. Ours is pretty small and we would have liked it wider. There is no room if someone sitting on the edge with just their feet in the pool, there is no room for someone to step out beside them. Just a couple of my thoughts.

Good suggestion for the step - I will mention that to the PB. Definitely going to leave a swim out area in the deep end.

Okay for the decking............put some oversized beach towels (They are "loungers") where the decking will be with the pool where it is. Then "re-draw" the pool with your water hose acting as the line and use the towels to show you how much room you will have for loungers or such in that area. Go from there. Make sure you put a walkway to the shed as well, like was talked about on the first page.

Thanks Kim - did plenty of playing around with towels, measurements, etc. I think we're good to go now.

Is the painted pool similar in placement to the diagram in post 20? I like that spacing where you have a wide "entry" to the pool. Having it a littler further away (so keeping it where it is) will make if feel more spacious I think. More breathing room from the house to pool even if it's not all deck area.

As an aside, the first thing that came to mind when looking at your pics was doing a wooden deck/porch the whole length of your shed, coming out to the pool/spa area from the back/side. Probably not needed but it would also be a nice tie-in between the the whole area. I always like to make sure the big picture is accounted for, in addition to the house/pool connection. It would create a great backdrop to your oasis. Necessary, probably not. Expensive, of course.

Yes to the picture in post 20. I think we're going to move it in just a smidge (2-3 ft) to allow us to tie into the area under the deck a little easier. Should be a nice compromise and will still allow for a wide entry way from the patio. Interesting idea with the "porch" off the shed. Will have to keep that in mind perhaps for the next stage of upgrades. As for this year I think we'll be pretty tapped out as we allow for some smaller changes. :)

Another thought - this pool will likely be close to 40K gallons in total. Should I be considering a pair of IC40 cells vs a single IC60?? If so, can the ET8 control both cells?

The ET cannot control two cells. You can use two cells and set one as a 'base' load and the other connected to ET to adjust.

But as you are in PA, I bet the IC60 will be fine except on very high bather load days. Those days you might have to add bleach to supplement.

The ET cannot control two cells. You can use two cells and set one as a 'base' load and the other connected to ET to adjust.

But as you are in PA, I bet the IC60 will be fine except on very high bather load days. Those days you might have to add bleach to supplement.

Thanks, I couldn’t find the specifics very easily on pentair’s site. My PB seemed to think I will be fine with the IC60 as well.

An IC 60 creates 2 lb. of chlorine in 24 hours at 100% setting.

Your pool, at 3 ppm FC each day, will need about 16oz (1 lb) of chlorine gas added each day. So you would, most of the time, be OK at running your pump 12 hours a day with your IC60 set at 100%. Of course with an Intelliflo pump, you should be able to run your pump at 1200-1500 rpm to activate the SWCG flow switch. So for a fairly small amount of $$, you can run your pump 18 or even 24 hours per day and thus run your SWCG at a lower than 100% setting.

Hope that helps.

An IC 60 creates 2 lb. of chlorine in 24 hours at 100% setting.

Your pool, at 3 ppm FC each day, will need about 16oz (1 lb) of chlorine gas added each day. So you would, most of the time, be OK at running your pump 12 hours a day with your IC60 set at 100%. Of course with an Intelliflo pump, you should be able to run your pump at 1200-1500 rpm to activate the SWCG flow switch. So for a fairly small amount of $$, you can run your pump 18 or even 24 hours per day and thus run your SWCG at a lower than 100% setting.

Hope that helps.

Marty - very helpful, thank you! I'd imagine as the cell degrades/ages I'll have to run it a bit longer to achieve the same?

The cell will create that amount of chlorine until it dies. As long as you maintain proper chemistry levels it should be OK.

You may want to read up on CSI. With a SWCG if you keep your CSI between -0.3 and 0.0 you will never get scale on the plates.

Take care.

The cell will create that amount of chlorine until it dies. As long as you maintain proper chemistry levels it should be OK.

You may want to read up on CSI. With a SWCG if you keep your CSI between -0.3 and 0.0 you will never get scale on the plates.

Take care.

Thanks again, will do. Much appreciated.

Also - submitted for approval with our HOA yesterday. Hoping that should go easily and then we can move onto the township next. :)

Quick rendering we used that shows fencing, etc. attached.schutsky pool plan R2 edited.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also attaching first rendering/proposal from our landscaping contractor -

initial rendering design.jpg

Thanks Kim!

HOA approval received! It's a small step in the process overall but progress nonetheless. About to enter the permitting process for our township which looks quite extensive, wish us luck there. :)

Now starting to think about details of fencing and gate placement in more detail while we have time. The spring cannot come soon enough!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.