Not getting rid of green...

Dec 10, 2017
Melbourne
Hi - we've had calcium issues with our pool and have managed to reduce the PH level to acceptable, which has helped in clearing up some of the calcium (which is mainly at the bottom of the pool), but there is still more work to be done.

Our main issue at the moment is when hand vacuuming the bottom, the pool takes on a greenish tinge afterwards, as the dirt just seems to go back into the pool.

We have recently changed the sand filter, we are struggling in getting enough pressure into the pump to clean at an acceptable level. The pump is still quite new too, it certainly works, but there is not a lot of pressure.

We hand vacuum as the automatic cleaner just sits in one spot unless we physically drag it to another.

Any suggestions welcome!

(yes, we know we need help....)

Hello again! :wave: Generally, when someone says their pool is turning green, it's a sign of algae. Loss of water flow and increased filter pressure can also be indicators of algae as it clogs-up the filter. I recall my own filter getting overloaded with algae before I found TFP, and the green would simply get pushed back through the return jets. Much of what you are describing sounds like algae, but some good test results from a reliable kit, much like the ones from the link Kim provided in your other thread, will help us confirm. When you do test and post back some results, make sure to post the numbers as follows:

FC
CC
CYA
PH
TA
CH

In the meantime, take a look at the Vital Links below in my signature. They will help a lot, especially the "SLAM" link which is what we follow to remove algae. Speaking of signature, it might helps us to know some more specifics about your equipment, like type of filter, size of SWG, pump info, etc. All of those things helps us when assisting you. Watch for more replies, especially from TFP friends down-under, and let us know if you have anymore questions.

Yep, don't be alarmed by the SLAM description. It seems like a lot but once you get through it, it's smooth sailing.

You're going to need a ClearChoiceLabs kit. Luckily we have them as a supplier down here, so we can do TFPC.

You'll save back the cost of the kit by the end of summer, by using less pool chems. You also won't be losing any swim days. This is the kit to get: Total Pool Water Testing Kit, Salt Water Clear Choice Labs. I know it seems like a lot at $174 (it's gone up a bit!) but you'll find that with refills (probably around $50-60) you'll get through two seasons pretty easy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.