O/B Pool Henderson Nevada..

Oct 29, 2016
Henderson
Ok so I’ll getting ready to start an O/B in Henderson Nevada. I have financing in place. My budget is 40k, I’m hoping to go below that. I’m finalizing the design and wanted to get input on finished surfaces. I’m thinking some type of tile for decking, what my problem is deciding on what to do with the inside the pool. I’ve been reading about using crushed abalone shell but don’t understand the application. Or going pebble tech but I’m worried about it on your feet.

Abalone- those of you that have used it in the Vegas valley, what is the process and is there an extra cost for applying it? Where did you get it at and who did you use?

Pebble tech- do you like it and truly, how is it on your feet?

Tile- what did you use and where did you get it at?

Please feel free to offer any suggestions or pointers/ pitfalls. I’m all ears and want to learn before hopefully I can avoid making a mistake or limit them!

Thanks for the future help. I will be posting pics and such on this post. Stay tuned...[emoji106][emoji120]

Last edited:
Re: O/B Henderson Nevada Pool (starting stage)

Are you really going to do it! SWEET! Did you get a design done up????? I wanna see!!!

I have a couple of folks that have a list of subs. I will shoot them a PM to show them your thread.

Kim:kim:

So I’ll answer the questions the best I can but you can always call or email me as well
Abalone- there are 2 ways to distribute them in the pool, you can either hand cast or have them mix it in with the plaster mix. We choose to do both so we get the most bling. If you have to choose one due to budget you get more bang for your buck by hand casting them onto the steps and the shallow end area. We used NPT and the plaster guys can provide it, they will charge between $350-$500 per batch depending on the installer
Pebble tech- we went with mini pebble and love it! It does truly depend on the installer but my pool surface is pretty smooth and the pebbles really enhance the look of the water and the pool
Tile- Arizona stone has ALOT of options for tile and stone. We got out decking from Arizona stone and tile from NPT

I completely understand your pain, all those extra choice like travertine and pebble color were agonizing. Just trust your gut and it will come out exceptionally well :)

In another thread, Your build: What would you do differently?, the following was posted;
I wish we didn't have a built in gunite table with flagstone top. Everyone thinks it's a cool feature, but it makes a perfect spot for dirt/debris/algae to hide because it's difficult to sweep around, our Polaris cant access it because the cord will tangle around base. We have to keep the cord to the Polaris shorter than we need to avoid the problem.
Just something to consider as I see you have a built in table. There are pros and cons..........

Also - I do not see that you have discussed equipment. I recommend considering a SWCG. It makes daily maintenance much easier.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I would LOVE to have a table in the pool BUT do not so don't know how the cleaning would be.

It seems to me if you put a return towards the bottom of the seats and angled so it will push the stuff out then it would all be good. You can also think about raising the floor area a couple of inches to keep the cleaner out of that area to keep the it from getting tangled or trapped. That will be a win-win!

That place by the spa where it goes out 2'..............what is the thinking there?

That place by the spa where it goes out 2'..............what is the thinking there?

Just a place for someone to sit and possibly talk to the people on the patio or watch TV that will be in the patio. I didnt know how to make the transition from spa and also keep the 8' dist from the house. If you have an idea then i'm all ears.

As for the table, it's still up in the air. I'm looking for an alternative option, like something I can take out in the off season but also it will secure an umbrella. I'm trying to stay away from having an umbrella hanging over the sitting area if I don't have to.

Thanks
Pat.

I got it! For the 2' area I would put steps! I will see if I can draw what is in my head. But that will be the purrfect place for steps from the spa and patio into the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Pool Design.jpg

See the red lines? See how they are full length at the beginning but when they get "into" the pool I made them hug the spa? That is an idea that works and serves many functions. It will be a straight shot from the patio to the pool and a sitting area for chatting with people on the patio and in the spa.

Use if you want or throw it out if you don't like it.

With your pool shape I think you might need more lights than a pool that does not have the shape yours does.

-small light by the steps I drew coming off of the house patio

-small light in spa

-light on the shelf facing the deep end

-light in the deep end BUT not facing the spa or the shelf as you do not want it shining in anyone's eyes-I am thinking where the 30 is written by the spa

What I am looking at is trying to keep there from being any "dark" areas in the pool at night time. Something to think about is the fact you could have a pretty pole light on the outside of the pool instead on inside the pool! I LOVE this look:

https://www.amazon.com/eTopLighting-Aluminum-Outdoor-Lantern-APL1714/dp/B072LP4X9D/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1514496477&sr=8-6&keywords=3+light+post+light+outdoor

Let me know what you think!

O/B Henderson Nevada Pool (starting stage)

I think we found the tile for the pool. Or the next time we go to the pool tile place....[emoji2] I like the glazed tile for cleaning. It seems it would be easier. Though the amount of grout has me concerned. Thoughts anyone??

8dadb6a45b6e7c1e11e453e6df74eb7c.jpg

O/B Henderson Nevada Pool (starting stage)

To you vegas people, what pool flooring did you go with. The wife does not anything pebble tech. I would like some bling using a good quality abalone and or beads for that bling. Can that be done with plaster or something like that? I’m all ears to start my research. I did meet a guy named Kelly at NPT who has 30+ years in the pool business. He seemed legit with his knowledge, talking with him made me feel like a real neophyte.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.