Need Recommendations on Repair Plan for Leaking Booster Pump Volute Inlet and Outlet

Dec 9, 2017
Dallas, TX
Hey there! New member here. My wife and I bought our first house less than 2 years ago and it has a pool so I've been slowly forced to acquire some pool repair skills.

I need some advice and thought this forum would be the best place to get it.

My PB4 Booster pump is leaking at the volute inlet and outlet. I'd say 80% at the outlet on top of the volute, and 20% at the inlet. Combined water loss from both is about 2 drops per second. My guess is it's just old pipe joint compound that has degraded. I'm not sure how old the pump is, but it probably dates back to at least 2011 (year the pool was installed). I have some questions about what I should do:

1. How long do these booster pumps usually last?
  2. What is the best repair plan for these leaks that will mean the least amount of work in the long run?

I was originally going to cut out and reinstall new PVC plumbing to the inlet and outlet, but I wouldn't want to do that again next year if I'm going to have to replace the pump (I'm inexperienced and don't know what replacing the booster pump looks like in the future). It seems like the booster pump is pretty modular and perhaps I could just replace the PVC plumbing and swap in a new volute for the heck of it at the same time (I'm assuming I'd have to replace at least one of the two PVC sections to replace the volute so doing it all together now would be pre-emptive). Then maybe when the motor fails I can replace that without messing with any of the plumbing.

To help with 1) here is a video that you can hear the pump in (I used up all my forum media storage space with the attached 5 pics): IMG_4111.MOV - Google Drive

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Attachments

• IMG_4106.jpg
    IMG_4106.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4107.jpg
    IMG_4107.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4109.jpg
    IMG_4109.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4110.jpg
    IMG_4110.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4086.jpg
    IMG_4086.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 56

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.