Taylor test kit 2006 CYA test

Apr 16, 2007
Bucks Count PA
I have had my Taylor test kit for 3 years now and the bottom of the cya side of the comparator is slightly cloudy limiting the view of the black dot and I am wondering if that will throw off my cya test results. I figure since the clouding of the dot starts before you put in the water it will give me a high CYA as I will loose sight of the dot quicker than I should. Is there a way to get that clean or should I just buy a new one?

If you cannnot clean the cloudiness out of the comparator then you should order a new one from Taylor. Make sure to keep the new one clean. The small comparator that comes on the comparator block of the k-2006 (AND the K-2005 block as well) is easy to wipe out with a cotton swab after each use AFTER a thorough rinsing in fresh water.

I suspect that you did not rinse out the comparator well ( or at all) and let the liquid dry inside the tube, allowing the melamine cyanurate to form an insoluble deposit inside the tube.

I was able to find a cleanser that cleared up the black spot on the bottom of the CYA test. It is amazing the difference in the results. Before I cleaned the comparator my CYA read 90 and after cleaning it I got a reading of 50. So the cloudiness did make a big difference. For any interested parties the cleaner I used was LA Totally Awesome which can be found at any Dollar Tree stores. My wife swears by this stuff and it pulled through for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.