I'm going to switch to SWG, soon

Rodtek

Feb 17, 2017
Panama
Hello everyone.
For those that dont remember, i live in Panama.
And wow, i have found a company that sells and installs SWGs.
So, next saturday they wil come to connect the IC20 (the pool is 7k gals) and add the salt.

Questions:
- Is it necessary to change the water of the pool? Or can i leave there the same water?
- Is there any tip about the installation of the cell? The manual says would be better to have on vertical installation.

Rod

Good choice.

You can keep the water. Just add salt and prepare to add some CYA to get it in the proper range - [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

The vertical installation is a new one. It does have to be wired so that a timer or automation is its primary disconnect with the flow switch in the SWCG as a secondary disconnect. Be sure that is done.

Also, do not turn it on until the salt has been in the pool and circulated for at least 24 hours.

Check the salt level of your pool water before adding salt. Might be pretty high in salt already. Be wary of test strips to test salt. A K1766 kit is more accurate.

Take care.

Oh, hello.
So, I understand the step to have the cell running after the pump.
I have a timer, of course.
But? I have to use a second one or control the IC20?
Does the IC20 has any "retard" function?

May be useful to know that the pump is below the level of the ground. And the sand filter is above.
So, pump is always with water in.
The cell have to be installed on the return, after the sand filter, true?
In this case.. Yes, could it be that the return remains without water.

At the start of the pump, there should be water into the return in very few seconds.

Ok for the CyA.

I hope the provider will bring me some strips, to check the salt.
I'm going to write him right now.
So he would have one week to be ready.

Thank you

Rod

Inviato dal mio SM-A720F utilizzando Tapatalk

You would need to decide if you wish to wire the SWCG into the same timer as the pump - such that whenever the pump is on the SWCG is on, or have a separate timer. You must have water flow through the SWCG when it is on or it is an explosion risk.

There is no "retard" function in the SWCG.

The SWCG is to be the last piece of equipment prior to the water returning to the pool.

Hope that helps.

Take care.

Yes, everything is clear.
But, how can I wire the swcg and command it to start let's say 5 seconds later than the pump?

Oh, maybe this can works...
I can connect to the timer, using a single line to power the swcg, not a problem.
Then I put a surge protector where I connect the swcg.
So, when the main timer says ON, the pump starts.
The surge protector starts his "waiting time", típically from 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
Than, should give power to the swcg.

Isnt it?

Rod

Inviato dal mio SM-A720F utilizzando Tapatalk

No need to put a pause in the starting of the SWCG. It does not power up immediately when it starts. It goes through a diagnostic process that takes 1-2 minutes. So it is no issue to have it on the same timer as the pump.

I think the SWCG would also need to see flow before it starts as well right? So I don't think there is an issue waiting for the pump to prime/start.

The SWG unit is after the filter and any heater that you have. The system can be mounted either horizontal or vertical. Each unit is different, but the SWG requires a straight run of certain length (check the manual) to function properly. There is also a flow switch (either separate or built into the unit). I believe the Pentair is built right into the unit. In addition, the wiring off the control box should be hooked up directly to the timer of the pump. You could have a separate timer, but not necessary. When the timer is on, the SWG detects flow and then functions properly. I would hook it up to the main timer. Below is a thread on how my timer was hooked up.

SWG Control Board hook up to the Intermatic Timer

SWG Control Board Hook up to the Intermatic Timer

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.