Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Old Hot tub with scale

1. Back To Top    #1

Old Hot tub with scale

Hi all,

We have an older hot tub that has been sitting empty for at least 2 years - I say empty, but it had some water in the seats that wasn't removed at some point in time. We are working to fix the leaks, rebuild the cabinet (needs new top boards), replace the foam insulation in the cabinet and remove the scale. We never properly balanced the water - I know better now, but was going off the poor advice of the previous owner.

I am doing well on all parts but the scale - I assume it is scale. It is white, rough and hard. Wiping with a towel or a Magic Eraser does nothing but tear up the eraser. I am assuming I will have to acid wash it. Can someone point me to some instructions for doing this safely? Currently the power pack is not hooked up, so water and anything else that I am using to clean the tub with is running out the bottom. From what I can tell, the hot tub has a "maintenance free acrylic finish" and hold 425 gallons.

Advice please???
    24ft AGP 52in deep ~13,500 gal
    Hayward Sand Filter 250 lbs
    SWG
    1.5 HP pump

425 gal stand alone QCA Hot Tub 15-20 yrs old

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Old Hot tub with scale

Well, I used white vinegar and a green scrubby pad to try to dissolve it and most of it is smooth now. Is there some kind of polish I should use on the surface now?
    24ft AGP 52in deep ~13,500 gal
    Hayward Sand Filter 250 lbs
    SWG
    1.5 HP pump

425 gal stand alone QCA Hot Tub 15-20 yrs old

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Old Hot tub with scale

I think you have done all you can do, fill it up balance the water and let it run. Any spots you missed might dissolve on their own with the water balanced.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp