Should I take the plunge in pool ownership if my kids are 12 & 15?

Mika

Jul 15, 2017
Stevenson Ranch/CA
Hi TFP friends!

What a GREAT site this is to learn and get ideas! I've been visiting off and on as I try to decide on building a pool. I was leaning towards making the 'jump' and today a co-worker highly recommend against it. He said my kids were too old and it wouldn't be worth the money as it would rarely get used, not to mention cost of maintaining. My kids and I live in Southern CA in a community surrounded by homes with custom pool/spa combo's. In fact, I'm only one of two homes that are left to install one. It's a 2 year old community.

I could REALLY use all of your help in trying to decide! Some questions/thoughts that keep popping up in my mind:
  1. Will I recover any $ spent in bldg when I sell in 8-10 years (House will be too big for just me when kids are gone)? If so, what is the going % in SoCal?
  2. Should I not view as an 'investment' and more of joy/quality time spent with kids & creating memories? If so, that leads me to question what my colleague said about it being 'too' late.
  3. I keep seeing a wide range of answers as to true cost of ownership and build. I fear that being a full time working single mom, would I have the time to truly find a reputable quality contractor I can trust?
I'll stop there for now as I'm hoping not to scare some friends off from replying! :)

Have a wonderful evening,
Mika~

Hi, welcome to TFP! Don't buy a pool for your kids, or the potential resale value. Buy a pool because you want a pool. You are the one who has to pay for it and maintain it. Don't expect to make money back on a pool when you sell the house, unless pools are a high demand item in your area. In most parts of the country it neither enhances or detracts from value of the home. As far as whether or not your kids are too old, well you know your kids better than your co-worker does. Talk to them and see what they think. Ultimately, the most important factor is do you want a pool whether or not the kids use it.

I agree that a pool should be something that you want. It's a long term investment that probably won't increase the value of your house. I've had similar comments from people but the consensus seems to be if they're boys they'll likely use it frequently until they move out. People with teenage girls have said they used it less the older they became. We have 11 and almost 6 year old sons and contemplated the same thing. It turns out that my husband has wanted a pool for a very long time though... I had no idea! Anyway, after months of research, we signed a contract on Tuesday. What with the Christmas/New year break and slow start to the year our pool should be ready just in time for our Australian winter!

I LOVE having a pool now! Before I found TFP? NOPE! Hated it!

With TFP it is easy to maintain a pool so that is a non-issue.

Now the build..........that will test you for sure. I think so long as you go into it thinking "flexibility" you will not lose your mind. Know there will be hiccups and bumps along the way.

Finding a PB could be a chore. I say get bid from at least 5 of them. Share the details here and make notes of who you click with. I would also as to meet the person that will be in charge of the build once we have narrowed it down to two PB.

You know your kids. Do they beg to go swim in others pools? Me? I love having it to float around in after a hard days work!

Kim:kim:

My kids are 10 and 13 and they both LOVE it and will love it for years to come. I have no intention of selling when (if?) they move out. I get just as much enjoyment from the pool as anyone. My fiance loves to swim but will not swim in any public pool so this pool is her oasis. We are lucky that in our area we can expect close to a 100% return on the pool in the home value however that never factored into our decision to get a pool. Get it because you want it! Now if you were moving out in 5 years, maybe consider that in the equation.

If all of the homes in your development have pools and your home does not, that could definitely detract from the resale value as the appraiser would have to find comps outside your neighborhood. No one will ever get a 100% ROI on a pool as appraisals will never allow for that; like everything to do with your home, it's a depreciating asset and it will be treated as such when the value of the home is assessed. Of course, many people DO NOT want pools and so a home with a pool is not attractive to that set of buyers. But, if you have no plans to sell your home in the next 5-10 years, then none of that really matters much.

I would say this - a pool is like a pet, you need to feed it, walk it and care for it; it will not take care of itself. So, if you want a pool and you have the means to build one and are willing to do the maintenance, then you should do it for you and your family and not worry about the external factors.

Good luck in your decision.

What joyful said... when I move an existing Inground pool is a requirement, so I get it for free (yes I live in frozen New England so that’s definitely a factor in this market) I am part of the buying public that loves pools..

Welcome to TFP!

We built when the kids were 10 & 12. We had about 4 years of intense use. Kid's friends and parents over frequently. Now that kids are 14 & 16, that slowed down in year 5. Still happens but not as much. And I can see, now that my 16 year-old has a job, that his free time will continue to be less. He's a junior. And I fully expect him to go away to college - and who knows if he'll come back in the summers - many kids seem to like it there and get jobs there. There's still time left for family enjoyment together, but the time is less than it was and will decrease.

In our situation, I wanted a pool and so did my wife - for us. I was going to be/am the one to maintain it. Kids are just lucky to get it. My wife also has a very flexible schedule, as she doesn't have a paid job. She's Miss School Committee person and household manager. So that leaves significant time for her to enjoy the pool. I'm not sure if we both worked full-time if I would have done it even at ages 10 & 12. Sure I like it, but having my wife being able to use it (with our without the kids) most any time during the summer gave it a real sense of being worthwhile for me.

But I assure you, we will continue to use it and enjoy it thoroughly after they move out. Financially, here it's a major money loser. Buy a house, get a free pool (not exactly but kinda). The only reason ours won't be exactly that way is because it's part of a comprehensive outdoor experience in our backyard. I would fully expect you to get less without a pool versus with a pool in your neighborhood as described. Seems impossible that you wouldn't. So the economics are not similar to ours.

I had a co-worker tell me the same thing right after we built. He didn't know we were doing it. He said, "you should have asked me first". But I can see he built it for his kids and probably doesn't swim and get joy out of maintaining it either like I do. Frankly, piddling around the pool doing whatever needs done is all part of my mantra - Be outside, do whatever. I just made that up but it's a good summary of me.

It's a huge decision, build or not build. It's also a decision that can't be undone. Do it for you or not at all. Or if money is not a very big deal, and you want to be the caretaker, then do it regardless.

Just a few thoughts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
People who say they're a lot of work usually have bad experiences in their past, and certainly haven't found this website!

From what I've seen, a pool is about the same work as equivalent square footage of well-kept lawn and garden beds. Certainly less time needed than a vegie patch the same size. And through winter (unless fully heated) they're very little cost or time.

Ours is used lots because of grandies, but thinking of past pools/houses/yards, teenage kid's friends want to come to your house when they feel welcome and respected. Any attraction like a better than average video game setup, or a swimming pool, pool table, place to practice music, etc. etc. is added reason to keep them visiting. I think anything that keeps them around and feeling happy and positive is a great thing. :)

Kids? What are those?

I’m 61 and just had my first pool built. Wife and I are empty nesters with no grandkids. The pool is for us. We don’t care about resale value either. I’ll leave this home on a gurney.

If you want a pool, get one and enjoy it for yourselves. To heck with what anyone else thinks.

We just moved into a house with a free pool. I was told by others how much work it would be. I have to say that though it is work, I love to do it as I am outside in the sun and then I get to dive in and enjoy. I LOVE my pool as old as it is. My thought is that if you make your pool that much nicer with interesting features and ways to accommodate groups of people swimming and not swimming,
your pool feature may be nicer than your neighbours’ and might just sell your house in 10 years....and you will get 10 years of enjoyment. A pool is for quantity and quality time with your kids, their friends and your friends! I say, go for it.

We just moved into a house with a free pool. I was told by others how much work it would be. I have to say that though it is work, I love to do it as I am outside in the sun and then I get to dive in and enjoy. I LOVE my pool as old as it is. My thought is that if you make your pool that much nicer with interesting features and ways to accommodate groups of people swimming and not swimming,
your pool feature may be nicer than your neighbours’ and might just sell your house in 10 years....and you will get 10 years of enjoyment. A pool is for quantity and quality time with your kids, their friends and your friends! I say, go for it.

Well said! :) Cheers to that :)

Agreed....if YOU want it then the cost, time, maintenance, etc won't be a burden or chore. It's the price of having what you want and not an inconvenience. No different than any other hobby, interest, pastime such as a boat/pet/sports activity. Children fall into the same category?

Is the OP an outdoorsy person? comfortable in water? likes to entertain friends, family & guests? unafraid to learn a simple DIY process?

We got our pool after the kids had moved out. My biggest regret is not having done it while they were here to enjoy it....and hoping they would have hung around more as teens in OUR pool/home instead of wherever they got off to. We would have kept the pool fridge stocked with more sodas and snacks and less beer, and welcomed their friends with open arms.

Maddie :flower:

Hi TFP friends!

What a GREAT site this is to learn and get ideas! I've been visiting off and on as I try to decide on building a pool. I was leaning towards making the 'jump' and today a co-worker highly recommend against it. He said my kids were too old and it wouldn't be worth the money as it would rarely get used, not to mention cost of maintaining. My kids and I live in Southern CA in a community surrounded by homes with custom pool/spa combo's. In fact, I'm only one of two homes that are left to install one. It's a 2 year old community.

I could REALLY use all of your help in trying to decide! Some questions/thoughts that keep popping up in my mind:
  1. Will I recover any $ spent in bldg when I sell in 8-10 years (House will be too big for just me when kids are gone)? If so, what is the going % in SoCal?
  2. Should I not view as an 'investment' and more of joy/quality time spent with kids & creating memories? If so, that leads me to question what my colleague said about it being 'too' late.
  3. I keep seeing a wide range of answers as to true cost of ownership and build. I fear that being a full time working single mom, would I have the time to truly find a reputable quality contractor I can trust?
I'll stop there for now as I'm hoping not to scare some friends off from replying! :)

Have a wonderful evening,
Mika~

1. The consensus is that you don't recover much of the money at resale by building a pool. My personal opinion is that may be a bit of an over generalization. If you live in an area where very few other homes have pools, it can indeed add extra value. If you live in an area where most of the homes do have pools, it probably won't, since it's somewhat expected. In your case most all the homes in your area already have pools, so it won't add much extra value, if any. Having a pool is already the baseline. However, being the only home without a pool in your area, may indeed lower the value of your home to potential buyers comparing your property to the ones they've looked at down the street. I'm certainly not saying you should build a pool to "keep up", but since you brought up resale value, it should be part of the overall equation.

2. Does your colleague even own a pool? I'm just wondering from what basis he's telling another person it's too late to have a pool? Using his logic, no one would ever build a pool because it's useful life is so finite...which of course is ridiculous. If you feel, or believe your friend, that you would have absolutely no use for the pool after the kids reach a certain age, than it probably doesn't make sense to move forward. However if the whole lifestyle of the the backyard oasis is one you can picture you and your family in, it certainly does. If you believe a pool will add to the quality of life for you and your kids, and you have the means, I can't see why you wouldn't. We had a smaller pool, and now we are in the middle of replacing it with a bigger, more elaborate pool. My oldest is 14. I look back and I can't imagine what would have replaced the wonderful family time, parties with family and friends, etc. that the pool has afforded us..and will continue to. I (and I would guess most others here) rarely, if ever, think about the cost or money invested in their pool once it's being enjoyed and becomes part of the family. While it's use may morph over the years, from 'party central' for the teenagers to more of a 'comfortable retreat' for adults later, the value of the pool is maintained.

3. Should you choose to move forward, you'll get plenty of great advice on how to proceed with contractors, and everything else. Keep in mind, most of the people on this board have already been right where you are! Just ask. I've learned that the level of expertise and experience around here is such that there is nothing, and I mean nothing, regarding this process that others haven't already been through, and are more than willing to help. Think you're the only working single mom around here? Nope.

Lots to think about...best of luck

We had a pool when we lived in another state and our kids were very young. My husband and I used it ALL the time. We loved it. Fast forward to now - our kids are 12 and 15 and we are putting one in as we speak. Kids love to swim and have friends over, and when the kids get to be this age, I love having them here vs at other houses or out doing other things. It's a great "anchor" in that way but my husband and I also love pools. We have a farm and it will be wonderful to jump in when we are exhausted from barn chores. We also have a pretty sloped lot/back yard so this enables us to really use our back yard.

A note about resale - I'm a real estate agent and we are in northern VA. MOST of the time, pools do not get ANY value on appraisals. Yes, there is an intrinsic "value" to a buyer who DOES want one. But you will lose many that don't want one. So, do it for YOU. Not for resale. Count on not getting any value (at least in our area). 100% value on your pool is not realistic. I've seen mostly zero, sometimes $10,000...and highest I've seen is $40,000 for one.

Everyone will have an opinion on whether or not you should put one in. Do it if it fits your life & family!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.