just signed contract for new pool in Fort Lauderdale,FL

so we are in process of signing contract the contract for our new pool on an ocean access canal in Fort Lauderdale fl.

let me know your thoughts on what we have so far - anything i should remove /add?

14x28 shotcrete pool 3-5' deep , with 12' raised 7' spa that spills over into pool.

pool 1 skimmer, 2 main drains, 3 wall returns, 2 floor returns
spa - 2 main drains , 1 floor return, 2 wall return, 6 therapy jets

options
- umbrella sleeve
- 1 qty jandy watercolors spa light
- 2 hp blower
- jandy cs200 cartidge
- jandy vs flopro 2.7hp pump
- 3 qty jandy 30w savi pro nicheless color led
- 1 jandy led bubbler 20w on 7' sunshelf
- i-aqualink p4 automation & tru clear salt system
- travertine decking and coping
- aquacal sq166r heater/chiller - 126k btu
- deco drains
- 13' extra swimout (below spillover hot tub and oppostie end of sun shelf)
- glass waterline tile
- CL sunstone antigua plaster

just signed pool contract but wondering if there is anything i missed or should delete.......

I'm sure folks will be interested to follow along. Thanks for sharing. I did think of one recent post when I read that you will be doing glass waterline tile and having a water feature (spillover spa). It's from a young lady (SuzfromTexas) who built a beautiful pool in Houston a few years ago and has seen some challenges with that particular setup. I realized it's in a place you may not have access too so I've quoted it below. It was part of a discussion behind the scenes on CSI, and that it should generally be a secondary level of concern for folks (in certain situations - and not at all in most cases) behind the primary FC, CH, TA, pH, CYA levels and theory.

Re: Calcium Saturation Index
I became more interested in CSI due to build-up on my glass tiles below my sheer descents. I learned from here carefully watching my CSI helped to fine tune my water chems to prevent more build-up.

Just to add info re the need to watch CSI to prevent build-up in some areas:
More and more pool owners are wanting glass tile which I understand. I couldn't wait to use it. I do love it, but I wouldn't use glass tile again behind water features like sheer descents. Earlier this past summer I gently discouraged using glass in those pool areas with in/out of water (like waterline areas) or water splash then dry places. I don't think anyone listened - the heart wants what the heart wants. I realize fill water and other conditions are so variable that my cautions may not be needed by everyone, but I won't risk it in my next life when I build a pool again. Lol!

All my glass tile which is 100% under water still looks fabulous.
Suz

I'm not familiar with spas or plumbing them, but I do recall seeing several times that educated folks here will occasionally comment on blowers not being required for well designed spa setups. Again, just a point of thought or conversation for you. I would look around or ask if you have interest in either of those topics.

Tim,

Looks pretty good to me..

My only recommendation is that 3 feet is really too shallow and it really matters how they measure it. Three feet of water or three feet from the top of the deck to the plaster. It makes a difference.

I would go with 4' and 6'...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I'm with Jim R. on this.... you're in a warm climate. Very shallow pools tend to feel like swampy bathwater in August. I see you have a chiller on order but I still feel like the entire pool is too shallow. 4-6" would be my recommendation.

Maddie :flower:

thanks for all the advice!!! I was also wondering if that is going to be deep enough i'll have them change that.... also whats the easiet way to post a picture?

I was also worried about the glass tile but pool builder assured me its not a probelem.... so we will see. Looked at a few multi million dollar homes they did the same way and the few i looked at didn't have any issues after 2-3 yrs...

I would add handrails or at least deck mounts for handrails. Most need to be bonded with the deck so now is the time to add them. Most rails are removable so you use them when you need them like with elderly relatives.

You are off to a wonderful start! I would love to see where the pool is going!

Pictures-you can become a supporting member. Just click on this link:

CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!

or you can use an outside photo hosting site. I will tell you that some of them have started holding the pics for ransom :( but there are others that are still free. You will need to use the IMG code to put them in your post.

Kim:kim:

So we are in the permitting process - but wonder your opinion on cutting the size of the baja shelf..... see pictures
F8F71A9B-7C67-4785-8D86-1B93DC8B9271_zpslrjre75c.png.html

- - - Updated - - -

does photobucket not work ?

Photobucket charges $399 per year for you to post pictures on third party sites.

There are some others that folks are using for free. Or become a TFP supporter.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
fullsizeoutput_217.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

current design is 14x28 plus 7x7 raised overflow spa. Baja shelf is 14' wide x7 long. should make the baja shelf smaller with one side being steps and remove the steps in front - so perhaps 7x10'' shelf with steps that are 4' x7'. so i save a few feet in front of shelf and a few feet on one side. does that make sense?

Hi Tim. I agree with Jim R that you'll likely want it deeper. Something to consider, will kids be using the pool? If so, even though 5' is okay to jump into it might not cut it when they are in adult-sized bodies with the mind of a kid (teenagers). A big cannon-baller could hit the bottom pretty hard at 5'. The down side is if people can't stand they won't use that area too much. The swimout takes care of that imo. I have a swimout in my "deep" end (only 6' deep) but it gets used all the time as people have the bench to hang out on, swim off of to tread water if they want then go back on the bench. I'd personally make the baja shelf smaller to accommodate chairs (not loungers). I assume the 28' includes the baja shelf right? Just make sure you really want to use it in that manner.

One other thing. Well 2. It's a great design! 2) make sure they connect all equipment with union couplings (I think that's what they are called). My pump is just glued in place and to take it out to replace or bring in for service would require me to cut the pvc pipe and reglue. Not the end of the world but I didn't think of it and would have made the builder put it in. There is really no reason not to use them that I am aware of.

No screen enclosure? I thought that was standard on all FL pools to keep the palmetto bugs and Huey-sized mosquitos from "enjoying" the pool along side you :laughblue:

Glass tile and scaling is usually only an issue in hard water areas. Florida has some hard water hot spots in it, but I believe most of the state has fairly soft water (that's what you get when your entire landmass is no higher than 400ft above sea level....). So I suspect your tile will remain beautiful for a long time. If scaling should occur, there are methods to control and remove scale but that's just a cost you'll have to bear at some point in the future. I like the polished Hydrazzo plaster from CLI but it's quite a bit of coin to upgrade to it. Be sure to visit some pools the builder has done (some new ones and some that are > 5 years old) so you can gauge the quality of work. Also be sure to walk with bare feet in a pool that has the plaster you want....it's the only way to know if you're going to like the feel.

Good luck.

haha no screened enclosure mosquitos arent that bad actually and just don't want to feel like a "rat in a cage". We actually don't see alot of palmetto bugs - in face i've seen maybe 2 since i bought this place 2 yrs ago. But what we do have issues with since we are on a canal - igaunas! they are invasive and have taken over the canals here in s. fla since the reproduce 10x.....

yes pool is 14x28 overall so i'm second guessing the size of swim shelf - even though it will get the most use - perhaps i'll size it down a bit....

I will increase the depth as well. Yeah the hydrazzo or the CLI pebble finish is another 2100 - thinking i'll stick with sunstone for now.

As far as the glass tile - i've heard to stay away from mesh backing- what should I look for in a good tile?

We are just finishing up (fingers crossed) a build in Fort Lauderdale! We have a similar size/design, although we made ours L-shaped with the sunshelf on the side rather than part of the main pool. For reference, our sunshelf is 10 wide x 8 long - which is plenty of space for 2 loungers, plus walking room and a bubbler in the middle. Depending on where you are located, going deeper than 5 feet can be costly. When we did our soil test the water table was right at 5.5 feet - so to make it deeper would have required some costly reinforcements. Hope that helps.

also after looking our sunshelf will be 6' x 14' which will be just enough for loungers and a bubbler / umbrella in the middle. We also plan on using it for kids to play in the future..... we actually have limestone @ 10' down so soil wasnt really an issue - but i may go 5'5 for a happy medium.... its going to be more of an entertaining / lounging pool as the size isn't real condusive to swimming anyways.

here is what we are thinking for glass tile...... PB has about 15 "standard" tiles on the wall picture designted S if you can zoom in. Thoughts/ opinions on what we should use?

pool plaster is CLI sunstone Antigua - its a white based plaster. Figure we should go lighter blue due to the light color water....

Travertine is most likely going to be Silver (not ivory as shown in picture).

http://[img]https://i.imgur.com/veToyl5.jpg[/img]

http://[img]https://i.imgur.com/qoFA7UW.jpg[/img]

I love, love, love the pattern of the one on the left (away from the chain). The color will look great with your plaster! Now play with different colors of mastic. There is white, off white, light gray, med. gray, darker gray. All will give you a different look. The best thing you can do is use different paper to replica the different colors out by the your pool so you can see what it will look like in your yard/pool.

You will also need to think about what color of grout you will want to use. There are sample grout sticks you can use to see which color you like best.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.