How come other pool owners never listen to us?

Apr 16, 2009
Western Kentucky
I just over heard a conversation from a co-worker of mine who says her pool is green. She was telling the other person about this chemical she added that "supposed" to kill algae. Something that's used in ponds, but I didn't catch the name. I chimed in, and started to tell her about why she probably has algae, and what she needed to do using BBB. Even offered to come by with my test kit, and give her a free test IF she ordered the TF100. More or less a free training session. I even went as far as showing pics of my pool. She refused saying this chemical will work, and she will have a clear pool when she gets home. :lol: I told her I wanted PICS! :-D

More power to her.

Does anyone else think your crazy when you start telling them what's really up with there pool? I'm guessing I'm talking over there head or something. Either that or they are hard headed, which is the case with this girl, or just in denial!

And this isn't the first person either. I've had three that won't listen!

if the entire pool industry doesn't believe it, I wouldn't expect many other people to either.
I wonder if it was a phosphate remover. I seem to remember something about that being used in ponds. could be way off though.

Everyone always looks at me strangely when I tell them about baking soda, Borax, Bleach etc. You can save so much by just going to Costco, Walmart, etc. I guess if you have the money, it's easier for people to jsut go to the pool store and tell them what to do.

it's easier for people to jsut go to the pool store and tell them what to do.
Bingo.

BBB is a pro-active approach to pool care. It involves the acquiring of knowledge and implementation of knowledge. Others (and you're finding out how many there are) prefer to go to the pool store and buy the "magic bullets" that are in stock.....ready to cure any problem with one application.

I offered to come over to a friends house and test their water, and he goes "why?" all suspicious like... (they know about TFP.)

He'd rather pay hundreds to the pool company and dump a bunch of algaecide in.

I don't swim in their pool....

Funny, I've had this problem right here in the forum when trying to help someone! People even come here looking for 'magic in a bottle' instead of wanting to learn how to care for a pool.

If I had a penny for every time I explained that bleach IS liquid chlorine or baking soda IS alkalinity increaser or that borax IS sold in pool stores... :roll:

I had great luck with one of my employees by showing him my pool first and they telling him how i got it like that. He has had a persistent algae problem that is gone now. I even bought the tf-100 kit for him as a gift.

Others look at me like i am nuts for having to do something to my pool each and every day. They like the options that require no work and little thought. I tell them how hard is it to dump 4 cups of chlorine into my pool and acid once a week with results that look like this.

Its just human nature, everyone thinks their way is the best because it is what they are used to, and convincing them otherwise is a tough sell.

NOT ME! I was an instant believer. It just took opening that box of borax (after having paid $2.52 at Walmart) to know it was the same shi....stuff I was spending $12.97 for at the pool supply store. My mom didn't raise no fool! :whoot:

Like someone said, they are looking for the cure in a bottle to all their problems. For years I KNEW there had to be a cheaper way, I just didnt know where to look until lately.

Not to sound like a cheesy infommercial, but Thanks TFP!

People don't listen to BBB advice (and many other kinds of advice) because they feel threatened, or feel you are critical of their abilities.

Imagine if someone said to you:
"I noticed your grass is kinda yellow, I can tell you how to take care of your lawn properly.."
"I noticed your shutters are peeling, I can how to paint them properly.."
"I noticed your makeup is smudged, I can show you how to apply it properly.."

Although some people will listen, I believe many people will view (no matter how nicely said) your helpfull comments as veiled criticism of thier abilities.

-Ken-

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I successfully turned my next door neighbor on to BBB when they bought their blow up Intex pool. I went over as soon as the water started filling and told her all about it. Their biggest fear was having a BIG blue thing full of green water in their yard and I promised her if she stuck with me and did what I told her, I would guarenttee her it would never turn green. She was on board from the get go, although a little skeptical at first, and their pool has never turned green yet and it's two months old! I also let her use my TF-100 for nothing all because she showed intrest and has been very impressed with the results thus far. She has even said if I need refills just to ask. I will be taking her up on that offer here soon.

She was afraid she'd spend an arm and a leg keeping it clean. I bet she's only spent $30 so far if that all because she's a BBB believer. :cool:

I have, however, run into those who refuse to learn the BBB a.k.a Easy Way. It's their loss, not mine. If they want to throw hard earned money away for green cloudy water, be my guest. I refuse too. :-D

I had one friend who bought a house with a pool and e-mailed me to say: "I've seen your pool. I want mine to look like that. What do I have to do?" She joined TFP, bought a TF-100, listened to attentively for an entire Memorial Day weekend while having a pool party, and is a happy pool owner.

I have another friend who switched from an auto-chlorinator to Baquacil because she couldn't deal with "all the testing". After two years her water was milky white and I refused to let my dog swim in it which hurt her feelings because dogs is what we do. I mean, dogs are our lives. She switched back to chlorine but not BBB. She uses a pool service. We don't talk about pools anymore because the friendship is more important.

She did mention the other day that there was "too much chlorine in the water" and the pool guys were coming to fix it. I bit my tongue and did not ask how they were doing that.

When people ask I'm more than happy to share but I do not volunteer pool info anymore.

I don't tell anyone about what I use in my pool. My next door neighbor used my test kit once and ran me out of CYA reagent. Tested for CYA 4 times. He hasn't asked for it this year.

I love to see their green pools. :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.