No Name pump/motors

May 25, 2007
I admit it. I'm frugal. I don't mind paying the going rate to get what is needed, but when two products seem to fit the bill and one is substantially less expensive, well...

I've been looking at 2 speed pumps. I had all but settled on the Pentair Whisperflow 3/4 HP, and so far the cheapest price I've found is right at $500. Then I found this page-

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/p ... ool%20Pump

They use AO White motors, claim they are the same motors used by the big name companies like Pentair and Hayward. They want $342 for the 3/4 hp 2 speed pump. It does have a slightly lower service factor than the whisperflow (I think, going from memory), and they don't show the flow chart (I've emailed them asking for it, as well as KWH useage at both speeds), but I am intrigued by the $150+ savings.

Anyone know anything about this outfit? Any reason why I shouldn't consider them? I don't want to cut corners for lessor quality, but if the corners to be cut involve keeping my money in my pocket instead of paying for advertising and dealer mark up, well... :) I did notice they say "two speed switch not provided" but I don't know how big an issue this is. Hopefully it's one my electrician brother can solve quickly and cheaply :)

I can't really answer your question, but I do know some associated information. The motors do tend to all be the same. However, the pumps tend to be different. Various features like impeller shape (and thus efficency), strainer basket size, and how easily the lid on the strainer basket goes on and off vary quite a bit.

Adding a switch isn't very complicated. You do need to find an appropriately rated switch, which might take a little looking but won't cost all that much.

Based upon looks alone and the fact that it is a medium head pump, it looks like a Hayward SuperPump knockoff. If so, the SuperPumps go for about the same price so you may want to consider that.

The Northstar and Whisperflo are about 10% more efficient than the SuperPump so my guess is that is what you will lose if going for this pump.

The head curve is here:

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/A ... manual.pdf

which is similar to the SuperPump as well.

One more thing, from the link, they say this:

"Pump inlets and outlets match up exactly in the same position as the Hayward Super Pump."

So there you go.

Thanks Jason, good to know.

ktdave said:
Rangeball, HERE is a link to a 3/4 HP Whisperflow pump for $359 and I believe they offer free shipping. That price is pretty close to the "no name" pump you spoke of.

Thanks Dave, but that's for the single speed model.

If you find the 2 speed for that price, please let me know :)

mas985 said:
Based upon looks alone and the fact that it is a medium head pump, it looks like a Hayward SuperPump knockoff. If so, the SuperPumps go for about the same price so you may want to consider that.

The Northstar and Whisperflo are about 10% more efficient than the SuperPump so my guess is that is what you will lose if going for this pump.

The head curve is here:

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/A ... manual.pdf

which is similar to the SuperPump as well.

One more thing, from the link, they say this:

"Pump inlets and outlets match up exactly in the same position as the Hayward Super Pump."

So there you go.

Thanks Mark.

The flow chart is blurry when I zoom in, can't tell but it doesn't appear to be putting out much flow at 40 DHL and up, less flow than I'm getting from my current Dynamo. If true, I'd lose the savings to longer run times.

I swear the link you gave me awhile back had a 3/4 hp full rated 2 speed whisperflo for a bit over $400 (link is in my pump sizing help thread), but when I went back recently they don't show a 3/4 hp 2 speed. I was either seeing things, or they discontinued it for some reason.

Motors...

I can only tell you about electric motors, not pump housings and gaskets, but what I do know is that there are really only 2 companies left that actually produce the motors, A.O> Smith and Fasco - the rest that claim to have their own motors actually have them manufactured by either aforementioned.
Here's a link to a site - you can even order your pool motor there.....
http://www.emotorpro.com/index.asp?Page ... ategory=73

Huh.

http://www.emotorpro.com/index.asp?Page ... tegory=151

I can buy a new 2 speed motor for my current dynamo pump for no more than $150. Interesting...

I recently learned the Dynamo comes in a 2 speed option. I think the 2 speed 1hp is around $250. I know it's an AG pump, but it's been working well on my IG pool. I won't pull fully from the deep end main drain if it's the only line open, but I never use it in that configuration anyway.

Hmmm.... Wish I could find a flow chart showing the dynamo at low speed. Even Pentair's site only shows the single speed flow chart. I have an email into them, we'll see...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just noticed something from the above link that teed me off.

Century 1 hp single speed motor- $124.65
Century 1hp 2 speed motor- $179.78
Difference- $55.13.

Why, oh why do manufactures charge $150+ difference between comparable single and 2 speed models? Why the need to gouge? I assume the pump is identical on the two models...

:evil:

......Because they CAN!!!

How many people will actually repair something in this day and age. I'm (we're) a dying breed, I try to pass on as much knowledge as I can to my kid (who still listens! How many 7 yr olds can do a brake job??? heck, how may 27 year olds can do a brake job???). Knowledge is power, if it isn't power, it can at least keep you out of debt with a little investment of time and sweat and sometimes blood!

Rangeball,

I bought this one today but it is a 1 HP. This was the only 2 speed for the Matrix pump configuration. List here for $229 but I know you were looking for a 3/4 HP. I saw the same model listed for $560 elsewhere. I couldn't find all the particulars on the motor to do an energy cost analysis, but the way I look at 2 speeds gives me more options for energy and operational use.
The old Intex pump is not up to my latest filter upgrade and with a pool upgrade in the near future in knows it's inevitable.

http://www.pooldeals.com/product.php?productid=17499

Those that call me cheap usually get the reply of:
I may be cheap but you're just plain stupid to pay THAT!

Because when it's all said and done, it IS just plain STUPID for most people to pay some of these outrageous and unjustified charges because they don't want to help themselves and thus end up being taken advantage of just so some CEO somewhere can take home 1.5 million/yr (and that's on the low scale of things) just to sit in a leather chair and pass off all responsibility to lowly workers and somehow also be able to absolve himself of all accountability for anything. To top it all off, when they do screw up, they get millions as a "get out of here" severance instead of a kick in the pants and a lawsuit!
ok, rant over! :)

I like living debt free, it's a nice feeling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.