Pool Remodel in NorCal

Apr 27, 2015
San Jose, CA
Hello all. We purchased a home in Feb of 2015. We knew the pool needed some help since some tiles had popped off and other issues. However, the Summer of 2017 is when the pool gave up. The steps began to crumble, the plaster was coming off in chunks, the coping joints were crumbling, the expansion joint was not water proof long ago....just a mess. So, our kitchen remodel was pushed back so we could take care of the pool.

The pool is a 20k gallon Anthony pool. I have already replaced the light with a new LED (guy installed it sideways) and I bought a new gas heater. Since the pool is 40+ years old, there were some required improvements to bring it to code. We had to have a new drain system added so the overall depth of the pool is about 10 inches less than before. Here are some before shots and the initial draining.

d4PcXOIl.jpg

BDqhQ2Ql.jpg

vlI2fIal.jpg

hrGL9kel.jpg

SWEET! Moving along! I am glad I found this fun remodel! Who are the supervisors? I notice one likes to show off but the other one seems more shy.

So what kind of plaster and color? Waterline tiles?

Why did you lose 10" for the new drain?

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SWEET! Moving along! I am glad I found this fun remodel! Who are the supervisors? I notice one likes to show off but the other one seems more shy.

So what kind of plaster and color? Waterline tiles?

Why did you lose 10" for the new drain?

We chose Twilight by Wet Edge for the finish and a blue tile with rock coping. When the wet edge is actually wet, the base is darker.

tKg9YPxl.jpg

17apnsfl.jpg

Our Doberman and a cattle dog mix rescue. The cattledog likes to go in the empty pool and supervise.

They had to upgrade the drain. They made a new seat and step to hide the new pipe up the wall.

Someone had their thinking cap on with the fix! Who came up with that idea?

The picks for the finishes will be so pretty all together! I love them all. What color grout will you use?

LOL on the nosy one making sure to be in the middle of the act!

That bench and step really looks nice there! Was there any concern about someone hitting it when using the diving board?

Have you started bonding with your new pool? aka watering it............it helps it cure.

Being as you have been on TFP for a while I almost did not share my set of links but I did not want you to feel left out if you have read some other build threads so here is YOUR set of links LOL

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

PoolMath

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

That bench and step really looks nice there! Was there any concern about someone hitting it when using the diving board?

Have you started bonding with your new pool? aka watering it............it helps it cure.

Being as you have been on TFP for a while I almost did not share my set of links but I did not want you to feel left out if you have read some other build threads so here is YOUR set of links LOL

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

PoolMath

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thanks for the info. I have been my pool maintenance guy since day 1. Towards the end, I had a heck of a time with yellow algae and too many dissolved solids in the water; who knows how long the water was in the pool. The pool is actually finished, I am just slowly posting the progress. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.