We're back! Pool demo and replacement in Sanger, Texas.

Okay, time for an update. There have been workers here every day this week. Mostly the LA's guys though, the tile guys returned on Thursday to install the remainder of the waterline tile. The tile guys also removed three inches of shotcrete from each side of the center column where the water bowls will go. The footings for the large privacy wall are ready to pour and I believe that is scheduled for Tuesday next week. Currently, the LA's grounds crew are installing underground drainage and cutting in for the rest of the decking. I believe the total amount of travertine to be installed is around 3500sf.

Digging for the privacy wall footings.
20171212_080816 by Bob, on Flickr

20171212_081140 by Bob, on Flickr

20171212_080904 by Bob, on Flickr

Detail of footing reinforcement
20171214_074416 by Bob, on Flickr

20171214_074434 by Bob, on Flickr

This is a good photo for explaining a bit about how things will come together. If you look at the house, you will notice the corner where the stone and brick veneer meet. That is the corner where the privacy wall will tie into the house. It will be somewhere between 6-1/2 to 7 feet tall at that point. Where the first corner in the privacy wall turns toward the camera position, is where the rail fence will tie into the wall in the form of a gate. Just past the equipment pad, the privacy wall will drop down in height and serve only as a retaining wall the rest of the way around.
20171214_074510 by Bob, on Flickr

20171214_074616 by Bob, on Flickr

We've also had several material drops this week. Here's the travertine but, the Luders is on site as well and about eight loads of flex base to go under the decking.
20171214_111723 by Bob, on Flickr

Bob

Here's what they are working on today. This will be pool deck. There are some old/existing drains in the middle; I don't know if they'll tie existing drains into the new stuff but I don't think those will be able to stay where they are.
20171216_123158 by Bob, on Flickr

More drainage.
20171216_123329 by Bob, on Flickr

Putting in some flex base on the upper deck.
20171216_123257 by Bob, on Flickr

This week we have had some decent rains so things have slowed down a bit. The LA's guys have been working on the base for the decking. They've put down, spread and compacted about 70 yards of flex base and I'd guess they have about another 70 yards to go. The pour for the wall footings got pushed back to next Wednesday. With the rain, they began focusing their efforts on putting down the travertine on the existing covered patio.

20171221_170058 by Bob, on Flickr

20171221_170122 by Bob, on Flickr

Versailles Pattern
20171221_170115 by Bob, on Flickr

Been a while since I've updated this. It has been very cold here for a while. Even with the cold, there has been some work getting done. The LA's crew have been out here on all but the very coldest days working on the travertine decking or the walls. They were able to pour the footings for the walls last Friday so earlier this week they made some good progress on that front. The PB's stone guys showed up this week and made some decent headway as well. If we could get back to a normal winter for this time of year, things could really scoot along.

The privacy wall is looking good. The stone is not an exact match and that is a little disappointing but we knew it would be tough to match unique stone on a 14 year old home.
20180112_090414 by Bob, on Flickr

Retaining wall end of things. The final height of these walls is based off the upper deck height which is based on the coping which is not yet installed. I think I've made the LA a little too concerned about hitting the measurements exactly. Honestly, I'd rather see them miss the wall height by a couple inches than stall out on the work.
20180112_090341 by Bob, on Flickr

Inside of the privacy wall; just starting the first course of stone.
20180112_090546 by Bob, on Flickr

Looking across to the privacy wall you can see how it will screen the neighbors view toward the spa and pool. It will also serve as a bit of a wind break since this photo is shot looking to the northwest.
20180112_090240 by Bob, on Flickr

They have installed the stone veneer down the long raised beam and the back side. The chiseled edge luders coping is just set in place, to cold to mortar it down.
20180112_090221 by Bob, on Flickr

20180112_090303 by Bob, on Flickr

Travertine in the court and the patio is all finished and looks great. They won't be able to bring it all the way to the pool until the steps into the pool are completed.
20180112_090621 by Bob, on Flickr

It looks like the weather here is going to stay pretty cold for the next week so, I don't know if we'll see much action. It is supposed to be back near 70 degrees next Saturday so that will be nice.

Bob

Bob! That stone is SO close of a match I bet this idea will "finish up" the match.........grad a few of each color of the wall stone left overs. Get some different stains that you think will match the old stone and play with staining some of the new stone. You would only really have to do that side that touches the house.

Yeah we don't want to talk about the weather right now...........we are heading back to some freezing weather next week :( BURRRRRRRRR

Kim:kim:

The stone is not an exact match and that is a little disappointing but we knew it would be tough to match unique stone on a 14 year old home.

Matchy-matchy is over-rated. So it gives your house some history if you (or someone) can pick apart the improvements. \

I think it looks grand!

Maddie :flower:

Bob! That stone is SO close of a match I bet this idea will "finish up" the match.........grad a few of each color of the wall stone left overs. Get some different stains that you think will match the old stone and play with staining some of the new stone. You would only really have to do that side that touches the house.

Yeah we don't want to talk about the weather right now...........we are heading back to some freezing weather next week :( BURRRRRRRRR

The stone is close and I think weathering over time will get it even closer. I believe the orange and red in the existing stone is from high iron content. Maybe I can spray the new stone with iron dust in a suspension to help it along.

The forecast is showing a high of 27 degrees on Tuesday; that's just not right!

Matchy-matchy is over-rated. So it gives your house some history if you (or someone) can pick apart the improvements. \

I think it looks grand!

Maddie :flower:

I do like my homes to have history!! Thanks for the compliment!

Bob

Bob/Karen... I've been watching your new build since you started. It really is coming together. Your prior pool build was outstanding and I think this one will equal it. Good luck.

Martin

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Martin (it's Karen). How are the Danes, cats and nutria doing? Your pool build was one of my all time favorites. The view with the river behind it still remains so incredibly stunning. Tell your wife that I traded in my V, got an SVR and I think I miss my V! This pool build has been so much easier than the last. Which is why you haven't seen me post much, no drama to talk about with the forum and get the emotional support :). The pool builder and LA are quality professionals (I guess if you build Jerry Jones' pool, there's an expectation of high quality and customer service). Bob will post more pics, but even things like the brass skimmer covers have been a pleasant surprise. I do miss my outdoor fireplace and kitchen from the last build, but this pool is being built with the nephews and nieces in mind and that kids can jump off the sides and not bang their heads on the floor of the pool or any of the nooks and crannies we built into the last one. I still may need to hit you up for the name of the craftsman that built your Spanish doors - I have to find someplace to put them but I LOVE them.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Kim Kats (it's Karen) - so figured while I was on here I'd say hi and see when you are planning to bring the Strawberry Pie? We can still do a TX pool crawl and this time boomersooner can join in - he only lives a few houses down so how fun to find him on the forum too. His pool build is awesome especially the parts he did himself. Love his outdoor cabana, bathroom, changing room and kitchen.

Hi Two Labs (it's Karen) - so good to hear from you. Have you been able to avoid any trouble free pool forum people from 2014 moving into your grotto? How is all your beautiful flagstone holding up? Bob opted not to go salt water this time, several reasons even though we don't have flagstone in this build. It was less about the flagstone flaking (not too bad) but the mineral build up was frustrating where the spa waterfall was. We didn't have much efficiency in maintenance as it rained so much, it seemed to require frequent adds. We'll see how this goes.

Hi right back at you!!! I am SOOOO glad this build has been easier!! Guess Bob has not had to walk out to the build to "clean" his gun :roll: lol

When (notice I did not say if) we dova pool crawl there WILL all kinds of goodies shared by many!!

Hi Karen, I'm glad the build is going good. I certainly can see why you would miss that outstanding fireplace and kitchen. Our Danes were 10 and 11 years old. Sadly we had to lead them over the rainbow bridge 3 months ago. Although they had unique personalities and were great companions, I wanted another Dane.
Meet Roxy

IMG_0169.jpg

OMG - she is adorable. Is she sleeping on a tray?? So sorry to hear about the loss of the others. What does Roxie think about your fabulous pool? How do you keep her out of the river?
We're in the stage now of our pool build where a lot of work is being done but the overall project hasn't substantially changed (stone and travertine work primarily).

Hi Karen, Yes, she is sleeping in a tray. When she first came home she wanted to be with us so I put her on the storage divider between the two theater seats. BIG Mistake! She has gained 15lbs since this picture. The tray is now gone because she still wants to sleep there. It will probably be about 4-6 weeks before she won't fit at all.
I have a gate where I can divert the girls into a area with no access to the pool. Around the fifth day I opened the gate to expose Roxy to the stairs alongside the pool and started to work with her to get her comfortable with using them. (I was waiting for warmer weather to show her how to get out of the pool in case she fell in). I was at the bottom of the stairs when she turned directly right and went into the pool. It happened right where the stairs to the pool were so she was out by the time I got up there. So now she stays away from the edge of the pool.
I think that experience and the cables I have on the edge of the walkway along the river has her staying away from the edge.
When do you expect them to be done with your pool and all other associated work?

Okay, Karen has been asking me to do an update but, I have been reluctant because I didn't think you could see real progress. Today I took some photos of what's been going on. The stone work is definitely a slow process and given that we've had some seriously cold weather, we're lucky anything has moved forward. I would guess that there is maybe two more days of stone left. It looks like we are short on Luders so someone may have to come back to finish off some caps when it comes in. Random photos:

Spillway from spa starting to take shape.
20180123_122343 by Bob, on Flickr

The plinths that will support water bowls are nearing completion. You can also see the stone veneer and chiseled edge luders coping in the foreground. Behind the center plinth is a pallet with our pool equipment that was delivered yesterday.
20180123_125548 by Bob, on Flickr

Far end of the pool.
20180123_125436 by Bob, on Flickr

Privacy wall at the equipment location. The wall is about 6'8" tall on this side.
20180123_125207 by Bob, on Flickr

Front view of the privacy wall.
20180123_125247 by Bob, on Flickr

Huge mess! Another day or two and this should all get cleared out. Inside of the wall looks nice though. We did a 6" detail of the veneer stone below the cap to tie it with the pool. Karen says we should have done soldier course of brick to match the house; I think she's right.
20180123_125102 by Bob, on Flickr

All in all, things are moving along with very little trouble. If the weather stays decent, we may have a lot more travertine down by the weekend. PB wants to get the equipment installed this week. I don't think plaster is too far away, maybe two weeks.

Bob

That all looks awesome!! A mess for sure right now but a bit of picking up and it will all be good again!

Are you thinking the bricks WITH the veneer stone? If so that would have been too "busy" in my opinion. I like it how it is...tying into the pool.

Thanks for the update Karen! :hug: Bob we need our daily feeding so please keep the updates coming! LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.