Will this plumbing setup work?

eshamp

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2009
Will there be enough preasure for 3 seperate 2" return lines, with a 23', 52' and 69' run from equipment.

My Pool/Spa combo share all of the equipment except for seperate pump for the spa jets. I am using 20' pipe and 90 degree sweep elbos everywhere so there won't be any corners; for minimizing head loss. Also the pump is about 12-24 inches above the pool water line.

Suction Side:
Main Drain closed due to leakage so I will use the skimmer and a hayward navigator which will be a 20' run of 2 1/2" PVC for both spa and skimmer.

Equipment:
Flotec 1.5 HP pump with SF 1
Pentair D.E. Filter FNSP 48
Pentair Master Temp 400 heater
Goldline Aqua Collection Turbo Cell T-15 Automatic Chlorinator and Flow Switch.
All of which will be controlled by Goldline Prologic PS-8 and wireless remote.

Return Side:
After the Jandy 3-way Valve splitting pool and spa return I will have three seperate 2" return lines all running through Jandy 2-way Valves. The return lines are 23', 52' and 69' run from equipment.

I figured that especially because the main drain isn't working all three return lines woulf help with circulation.
Or should I only run 2 retun lines, one in the deep end of 23' and one in the shallow end which will be a 69' run.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Attachments

• Pool-Plumbing.jpg
    Pool-Plumbing.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 271
All Brand new lines.

The one return line was leaking in a couple of places. Plus the skimmer leaked.

The spa return line not only cracked but to the point that rocks are virtually blocking the water at the venturi tee.

Anyway all brand new lines, trenched and ready for glue but I wanted to get other opinions.\

Thanks

It might have been helpful to reference this post.

The pump should deliver close to 60 GPM which is about 20 GPM per return line so I would say that is more than enough flow rate for each line. The more returns you have the more you can control the skimming and circulation of the pool. Given that you don't have a main drain, have you considered putting a return lower in the deep end? It may not be possible but something to consider.

I am going to have 2-way valves at at the beginning of each return line so I could control flow to each. Do you suggest something better.

Mas, I have read and reread your articles on pumps and for the life of me I can't get my head around how to determine what my flow rates (gpm) and head loss will be without having water in the pipes. Is there a way to approximate them before completing install and if so what info is nedded? I am trying to figure out what I should expect and then once everything is working I think i may get a variable speen pump to manimize my efficiency.

Thanks

A lot of this is guess work but you can make some estimates based upon some reasonable assumptions. Since you are going to the effort of using decent size pipe, my guess is that you should be somewhere around the middle of the head curve of the pump. I don't have a head curve for that pump but I assumed it wouldn't be too much different than a Superpump 1.5 HP since the BHP of the two pumps is the same. 60 GPM is a bit to the left of center so that is what I assumed and probably a little conservative so you are likely to get more than that.

But if you are getting a new pump anyway, it probably doesn't matter much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.