Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muriatic Acid loosing strength over time?

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriatic Acid loosing strength over time?

I built myself an acid injection system for MA, but think I may be loosing the strength of the MA as it sits in the storage tank waiting to be injected into the pool.

I dilute my MA 50-50 with water and store it in a 5 gallon container that has a 1/8" barbed fitting that is used as an air vent. I can't let the pump create a vacuum in the tank or it wont work as the pick up tube would collapse on itself.

I don't have specific numbers to compare, but it appears that the acid solution is not working as well over time as pouring the full strength acid directly into the pool. Previously I thought I was using about 1 gallon of acid per month, so I setup my pump to inject this amount into the pool and it does this quite well. I have noticed that I still have to add about 1 gallon of acid per month in addition to what the pump is delivering.

This could be that I was not correct in my assumption previously because I never logged my acid usage. I just put it in and periodically reduced TA after adding fill water. But I was wondering, could I be loosing MA do to evaporation or some other means?

How do the "commercial" tanks handle the venting of the tank so that they do not form a vacuum?

thanks,
    dave
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Muriatic Acid loosing strength over time?

The chem guys will be along soon but I believe muriatic stays at the strength at which you purchase it.......for a very long time.

I will learn something new if that turns out to be incorrect.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Higher concentrations evaporate very quickly, but by the time you dilute it the evaporation rate is far lower. If it isn't obviously fuming it should last a good while in a container with only a small hole in it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Just read in another thread, that the MA from Home Depot is only half the strenght as the stuff at the pool store. Something like only 14%.
    What is the strenght of your MA?
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by heikejohn
    Just read in another thread, that the MA from Home Depot is only half the strenght as the stuff at the pool store. Something like only 14%.
    What is the strenght of your MA?
    I get all my MA from the pool store at 31.45% I think.

dave
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

6. Back To Top    #6

I can definitely say that MA losses strength, as bottles stored over the winter don't have the same "punch" as those bought that year. It's not measured, yet it appears measurable. I'm not sure what chemical reaction would cause the loss of strength (apply a base to an acid?), yet I plan on it happening (if there's any MA left over at the end of the season, and it's going to be stored until the following season).

7. Back To Top    #7

If this happens would it be like chlorine, where the volume of the acid does not change, but the chemical make up does?

Hope that makes sense.

8. Back To Top    #8

Muriatic Acid shouldn't be losing its strength. That's not my experience with it and normally pure acids and bases have a very long shelf life. I don't have an explanation for your experience with it unless your TA or borates level increased which would require more acid to be used to lower the pH level.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

AFAIK it has infinite shelf life

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Muriatic Acid shouldn't be losing its strength. That's not my experience with it and normally pure acids and bases have a very long shelf life. I don't have an explanation for your experience with it unless your TA or borates level increased which would require more acid to be used to lower the pH level.
    This is good to know. I'll chalk it up as not fully tracking all the acid I used prior to my setup. I just wanted to be sure that my setup did not have something fundamentally wrong. If nothing else, this process has let me know that I use much more acid than I thought.

Wish my fill water did not have a TA=200 . . .