can pump be too big? problems?

Jul 2, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Can your pump be too big? I have a 1ph 1.5hp pump. Does a great job moving the water. It moves the water quite a bit; water is swirling over a large area when the pump is on. It actually creates a little current streaming back into the skimmer. I have a feeling this pump is over sized for my pool. I just want to make sure it won't damage something down the road. My filter tank is big. I have a pressure side cleaner, so tank pressure goes up to about 19 with the cleaner attached, but still below the "dirty" level.

PS, I also have 2 waterfalls, but even with everything running it's still moving the water vigorously.

yes a pump can be too big, and there is no point in using a motor bigger than you need as you are simply paying more to run them than you need too

however some more info on your pool would be helpful, ie, size (volume) pipe diameter 1.5" or 2", filter size (diameter) these all play a significant part to pump selection

although if i had a dollar for every time over the years where i had seen someone "upgrade a pump at no charge mate" to a size larger than they need i would be retired on my new yacht

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.