LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2011
Eastern Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
TFP's goal is to teach Trouble Free Pool Care to as many pool owners as we possibly can. While PoolMath gives pool owners a tool to maintain their pool, it doesn't give them the knowledge they need. That knowledge is all inside of Pool School.

Over the last few months we've been hard at work performing some edits to Pool School while also converting the content to an eBook. We currently are putting the finial touches on this and setting up accounts with various stores. Before TFP officially launches the book I'd like to toss this question out to our members, What online store do you purchase eBooks from the most? We already know Amazon will be utilized to distribute the book, but I'd like to learn what other spots should we utalize. I personally have other ideas, I just wanna make sure I'm correct.

That all said, how about a tease or two??????????
361D0F53-259D-4EA6-B970-B2E6A99BB8B9.jpg2AFE5B73-B8AA-4D66-9749-2C695401ED9F.jpg

Amazon for books. I have a Kindle Fire HDX and I can honestly say that I think eBooks are best on a Kindle.

Funny that I have plenty of Apple devices but hate reading books on any of them.

There’s also Google Play books.

Been working on some formatting errors today that I had expected and was able to test it further on the Kindle App on my iPad,

image.jpg

Another screenshot from the Kindle App from the iPad

image.jpg

And lastly, a shot from Apples iBooks reader

image.jpg

please make it a downloadable pdf or similar for us oldies that dont do the kindle thing

There are clearly some pros (very easy to format accross multiple devices) and cons (not possible to push automatic updates) to PDF files. I’m still reviewing a few options for distributing these files so I’ll keep ya updated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As long as I can read it somehow on my iPad or iPhone, I’m good. Automatic updates, interesting, didn’t know that was possible. However you plan to update, be sure to practice good versioning: an obvious and easy to find version number, on the cover, somewhere inside, or in the title or file name, or some combination of those; and/or a clickable link to the current version; to make it easy for users to verify they have the latest version, and a path to get it if they don’t.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, great idea, by the way. To be able to access Pool School offline will be a great resource.

TFP has always prided itself on it's ability to teach Pool Care to it's users in a simple and effective manor. There's no doubt in my mind that this eBook will advance our reach to new users and will likely bring joy to many in the near future. During the launch of the PoolMath App we saw issue after issue with Apple until we got everything just right........we'll today they made up for the headaches. Today we submitted and were approved for the new Pool School eBook to be published on Apple iBooks. You can now download the book here,
Pool School by Trouble Free Pool on iBooks

I have also submitted the book to Amazon in which it currently is in review for publishing. I'm hoping to see it approved in a day or two as well. I will keep you updated on the progress we are seeing with Amazon. I will say however we've ran into one issue with Amazon already that unfortunately is out of my hands at this point. From the beginning it was my goal to keep the eBook free of charge. Unlike the App the book will likely require little upkeep in the future and all of the work was able to be done "inhouse" with the assistance of the Moderators and TFP Experts and Guides. There was no need to hire outside help to assemble this book thus the costs for the book were VERY low at this point. TFP Supporters have done an amazing job this year and have allowed us to pay for any of these costs as we came across them. That said, Amazon doesn't like free. :deal::deal::deal:
image.jpg
To get published on Amazon we were required to put at least a .99cent price tag on the eBook at the launch. I am hoping this will be reduced in the very near future as Amazon see's the book on other outlets for free. I am also looking to get published on a few other stores shortly but wanted to get this out to our members to enjoy as quickly as I could.

I really hope you enjoy the reading as I know I had learned some new tid-bits myself as I read the entire Pool School front to back myself. I'd like to greatly thank all the members who have assisted on this project and cannot wait to see it evolve in the future and help new members to TFP learn to care for their pools.

Enjoy!

There’s a picture of an absolutely fabulous looking pool in the “Pool Circulation Systems” section....boy did that homeowner do an amazing job. I hear he’s a pretty great guy too, beloved by all and an absolutely fabulous cook.

Wish I had a neighbor like him....

Reminds me of how The Martian started. He offered it free on his website, but it took a little work to download and set up, so he put it on Amazon for the minimum 99 cents. Turned out a lot of people felt 99 cents was worth the convience to just click a button and have it on their Kindles. So I would just look at it that way, anybody can get it free but if they want the convience and own a Kindle it is an option.

It’s worth much more than $0.99 IMHO and represents the collective work of a lot of good & smart people. While I applaud TFP for keeping pool care accessible to all who come here I don’t think everything needs to be “free”...but perhaps that’s an argument best left for another day.

It’s worth much more than $0.99 IMHO and represents the collective work of a lot of good & smart people. While I applaud TFP for keeping pool care accessible to all who come here I don’t think everything needs to be “free”...but perhaps that’s an argument best left for another day.

Agree!

While completing this book one set of threads kept coming to mind. Time after time we’ve seen threads where a TFP user attempted to introduce TFPC to another pool owner. The TFP user would have amazingly clear water while the other owner would be stuck with the green monster. Despite the results the pool owner resists the changes for numourus reasons. Fear of damaging their pool. Test kit is too expensive. Who should I believe a website or just about every pool store in the area? Despite how hard the TFP user tries the owner fights back.

As we worked on this this idea stuck in my head. If I could only get the user who was resisting to read the first couple of articles they’d see the light. If I could somehow simplify the “sale” of TFPC more pool owners would be open to trying this method. Now the TFP user is able to simply mention “this book is where I learned all from, give it a read.” That sale is ALOT easier than other starting points we’ve got in place now. That sale is made ALOT easier if it’s even free.

I’m not sure just what our options are at this point to push Amazon to lower the price. It may have to stay, I don’t know as it’s out of our full control. I agree a buck is worth it but I also know how much easier a free download is to push on a user pushing back. At this point I’ve got some issues getting published on Amazon as they rejected our book last night (kinda funny after the headaches with the App). Turns out the content is free elsewhere on the website. :rolleyes: and they wanna make sure we own the rights. I’m gonna respond today to get this sorted and see what options are next.

Just got the email from Amazon, were there too. I'll update very soon with the URL as I'm on my way to go weekly grocery shopping. Unfortunately some obvious formatting and conversion errors occurred that I'll address once I figure out what the heck occurred. On all the previews I did the content was fine, on the Kindle version they were messed up. :rolleyes:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by JoyfulNoiseIt’s worth much more than $0.99 IMHO and represents the collective work of a lot of good & smart people. While I applaud TFP for keeping pool care accessible to all who come here I don’t think everything needs to be “free”...but perhaps that’s an argument best left for another day.

Agree!

Oh shoot! I meant "Agree!" to the part about not everything needs to be free, and applauding the pool care accessibility. Not "best left for another day." This resource is amazing and deserves the support of its users, even if that's just 99¢ at a time!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.